infected while using eset av

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gtajunkie, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtajunkie

gtajunkie Registered Member

So a friends computer got infected with the fake system restore scam/malware while they were using eset av version 4.3(something).

I had recommended eset av for them, but now they are doubting its effectiveness. Shouldn't eset have detected and prevented this fake program? Their whole computer was "hijacked", they couldn't run anything except the fake program, it blocked eset from running. Does the av not cover stuff like this, would smart security have prevented it? Or would an upgrade to v5 have blocked it?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

No AV will protect against all malware that is lurking out there. In future recommend also to keep machine fully updated via WU and not to allow scripting in browser except for Trusted sites. Not to mention about not using software of dubious origin. If they have not removed the malware then they can contact technical support for further assistance. Alternatively
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1533481&postcount=3

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

perfectly said. first defense should be virtualisation/sandboxing/HIPS and then an AV.

4. piranha

piranha Registered Member

Fake program.... dont blame the AV !! Your friend get in trouble by himself by not search about this fake apps before download. Very important to not install unknown apps if not sure of it.

important.... do the av password protected ? it could help from be disabled by malware.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

We would need to know what version of ESET software was used at the time of the infection.

There a numerous tools available to you from ESET, the stand-alone Rogue removal tools, online scanner, free removal utilities.

Make use of them and post back your findings.

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

When it comes to Eset that's what I hear too often, unfortunately. :shifty:.

Thanks.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ouchie.

8. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

You're welcome. :p.

Thanks.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you think there's a security solution that protects against 100% of all threats, please share that knowledge with us :)
    It's a matter of fact that one can get infected with any AV installed. With ESET, the chances of getting infected should be reasonably low as ESET detects a huge percentage of new threats proactively or detection is added as soon as a new unrecognized threat variant is detected.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have seen literally EVERY av miss fake av's and rouges it happens nothing is 100% and eset is def on of the best out. there are some other av's that let nearly every fake av through

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Yes, it does seem that is what you chose to hear. Listen around more and you will hear more of the same about other AVs

12. dabigoreo

dabigoreo Registered Member

I'll second this comment big time. I WAS an NOD32 user and supporter, since before the venerable v2.7, for a very long time until crap started getting into my system. With a tested detection rate of 97.3%, it is getting better but there are free options out there that hit that mark or higher. Don't take my word for it - xttp://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_od_aug2011.pdf. This will probably get deleted but facts are facts.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Exactly, and what ESET and all the other vendors say when they miss a sample is facts too :-*
    No vendors product detects 100% :thumb:

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Majority of users on these forums know enough about what AV can or can't do. If there was one better than other we would be all using it instead there are many that we chose from. This thread is closed is it going beyond the purpose of the forum it is in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.