Inexpensive Ultra High-Definition TVs on Horizon

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304361604579292630876600834

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I still dont have a single HD channel and we are already moving to UHD . . . o_O

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Saw a UHD 4K Samsung 55" in a local store the other day.
    Very nice, sharp picture but with a 3 thousand dollar price tag.

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I just upgraded to a 720p 32" :)
    Small money....wait till the 105" UHD curved screen comes out!

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Funny how as tech "sometimes" improves for the better over the years, the content keeps getting worse :D

This applies to Audio as well :(

6. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Audio seems to be purely the bad decision to keep focusing on "loudness" high fidelity and of course the never ending obsession with the conveyor belt of pop stars whose careers span less than 10 years before they are replaced. This 4K stuff is just another 3D phase the industry goes through when vendors decide what the public will like and the public tells them to jump in a lake. They keep at it and keep at it, much like 3D, until they give up for a few years. Heck, even the HD we get these days isn't anything special unless you are watching a movie or a science/nature program.

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have a HDTV antenna. Cost $99. Would never pay for cable HD. The TV is HD, cost $400. Great picture and I get 19 OTA HD channels. During the ice storm here the cable was out, but the antenna worked at 100%. Lots of kids stuff on OTA channels, which is great when the kids are confined to the house for a few days. We get CBS, NBC, CBC, CTV, PBS, and ABC too, so there was NFL, NHL and NBA for the adults.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well I do agree about 3D that is was just "one of those things" it came... and now it's already pretty much gone. I never liked it at all actually.

But UHD 4K is the next natural step after what we today know as HD resolution 1080P, and after 4K the next step is 8K and so forth but that's for another thread and another decade. ;)

So 4K will come and will stay i'm sure, unlike 3D wich was more like "ok lets buy a TV that has 3D support, and the glasses, and let's watch a 3D movie" tried the 3D function just once more or less and that's it, that is usually the story I have read from people :D

Yes there's HD and then there's HD I agree, there can be a difference in the quality, but it's getting better and better and literally evertyhing that is produced these days is in HD.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I agree, I think 4k will stick. Especially as larger displays are more common now, the larger resolution is needed to maintain higher ppi. What really gets me excited is seeing how the 4k push will lower the cost of 27" 1440p monitors :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.