Index.dat

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Lee-Morris, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee-Morris

Lee-Morris Registered Member

Since testing this product I must admit it’s very good and has many good features but I have noticed one “error” in the application; if I may use the word "error" in this case. There is one file that’s related to Internet Explorer and records every site you visit and Acronis doesn’t clean it or delete it on reboot.

This file is called “Index.dat”; you will find numerous copies in various locations but the one file in question is stored in “C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5”

If you login with another account that has admin rights and search for index.dat; not forgetting to search hidden folders and files, you will see a large file which can be viewed with Microsoft Excel or a Hex editor clearly showing every site you have visited and cookies recieved.

If Privacy Expert is believed to clear all traces of Internet browsing why leave this file intact? It’s not that I have anything to hide, it’s just I have found this file intact which is a contradiction to what the application is supposed to do, therefore I require an answer.

Can anyone help?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lee-Morris,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

Could you please provide us with the following information:
    1. What operating system do you use?
    2. What build of Acronis Privacy Expert do you use?
    3. What version of Internet Explorer do you use?
    4. What is the file system on your system partition?

This information will allow us to reproduce and fix the problem faster.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Lee-Morris

Hello Acronis

My system is as follows;

Q1: = Windows XP Pro with ALL available updates
    Q2: = 748
    Q3: = Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (latest)
    Q4: = NTFS

Ther is one other thing you have to understand; Althought you may or can resolve this, the temporary Internet directory can be moved, as I plan to to do to loadbalance, does your solution cater for this?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lee-Morris,

I am afraid we couldn't find index.dat file in the location you provided (with default settings for Windows and applications). We did enable hidden files and folders but still couldn't find the file you mentioned. Could you please send the screenshot of the folder with this file to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will try to find out: 1. in which case the file persists and 2. how can you delete it using Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Lee-Morris

Hi Folks,
    Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been working away from home and now scheduled for a long holiday, believe me I need it. I will answer this upon my return. sorry about the delay

6. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

I am amazed that PE8 is not deleting the INDEX.DAT files (and annoyed at myself for not checking).

These are so well known about, it's now making me wonder what else PE8 might be missing...

Acronis, just search for INDEX.DAT in a user profile and you will see...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.