Index.dat file

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by imperium, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imperium

imperium Registered Member

I have IE8 and have encountered an Index.dat file (15.1mb) located within a folder called PrivacIE. CCleaner doesn't clean this particular file and I wondered if this is a file which collects surfing data like the usual index.dat files. Any answer appreciated. Thank you.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

imperium, this article IE8 Privacy is an Oxymoron, seems to confirm your suspicions. You could use Index.dat QV (there is a No Install version in their Download section) to view what's being stored in that file, if it's not encrypted.

3. imperium

imperium Registered Member

Thanks for the reply and links. I shall download Index .dat QV now.:thumb:

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

imperium, you're welcome! Let us know if Index.dat QV works on that file for other IE8 users' edification.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

JRViejo, can you tell me, does this program find all of the index.dat files and then allow you to view them, or must a user enter the location of the file? Point being, can a user rely on this program to not only view the contents of the file, but to also locate them all? Thank you! :)

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, let me preface my post by saying that I use the No Install version of Index.dat QV and these are the minimum requirements. Should the program issue a Runtime error due to a missing MSCOMCTL.OCX file, it can be downloaded from their site, requiring registering it on your PC, in order for the program to function.

I normally search the entire C drive for all index.dat files (you can also search an individual folder, if you like) as seen here:

2009-05-27_150120.gif

I highlighted one of the files, right clicking it to view the contents and as soon as it was done, the Contents tab showed this:

2009-05-27_145959.gif

The System Internals site I had visited earlier. This is a very simple program to use that will shed a big light on your PC's cached info!

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi JRViejo,
    So is the answer yes, a user can rely on this program to not only view the contents of the file, but to also locate them all? I think that is what you are saying, but I'm not certain. And thanks for the screenshots! :thumb:

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, the answer is yes but the only caveat is that I don't believe (perhaps I'm wrong) that it could read an encrypted index.dat file and that's why I asked imperium to run it by that PrivacIE folder. I don't use IE8 so I can't test it.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Another question... why do you use the No Install version of Index.dat QV when the No-install version of Index.dat Suite allows for deletion?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, I also have the No Install version of Index.dat Suite and have been using the Installed version in my W98SE rig since 2004, however, once I switched to XP and discovered the then so called Crap Cleaner, CCleaner now, there was no turning back.

Also, because I mostly use Firefox, my Index.dat files never get a heavy workout, as evidenced in my first screenshot. I keep QV around, mainly to show family members the kind of info contained in these .dat files. There's nothing wrong with the Index.dat Suite, especially the No Install version, and I recommend that program as well! :thumb:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I installed and ran the full version of the Suite and it didn't find any index.dat files that I hadn't already located and cleaned with assorted other programs. And that's a good thing! I appreciate the heads up and the helpful instructions. :)

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, you're welcome! Take care.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

R-Wipe&Clean allows the user to view the contents of Cookies, History, and Temporary Internet Files with Internet Explorer 8 – and, to secure erase them as well.

15. the Tester

System TuneUp clears the Index.dat files from IE8.
    I tried the browser cleaner in Revo Uninstaller and that seems to do the job also.

16. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

Wow...All this time I thought there was only 1 index.dat file (I basically haven't used IE in like 5 or 6 years probably...I've been using Firefox all this time), but I just downloaded this program http://www.systenance.com/indexdat.php and I find out there's like 6 of them on my computer, and one of them is in this very strange folder called PrivacIE (a hidden folder), that mysteriously appeared after I installed IE8.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

If I understand corectly, IE8 compared to IE7 (in my case, higher security settings), does not improve your privacy, but makes it worse since you have to find and run (are they free?) dedicated software to clean up that index.dat mess ?

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Index.dat Suite found 14 index.dat files on my computer. I run IE7. Someone else can tell you about IE8, for a comparison. :)

19. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

http://www.systenance.com/indexdat.php

I decided to check this out. Note this from the web site:
    This is a bit misleading, for it over-writes the data, rather than deleting.

Testing using IE6:

Here, showing my connection to Wilders:

indexclean-1.gif

After "deleting" with the program:

indexclean-2.gif

I suppose this is OK for privacy, but this file will continue to increase in size.

I don't know about other "cleaning" tools, but using some type of reboot-to-restore program (such as Deep Freeze)
    insures that all index.dat files return to their original size of 32K at each reboot.

----
    rich

20. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

Interesting....I guess I'll just have to boot into linux and delete them from there :)

21. the Tester

Those Index.dat files have been a collateral issue with IE versions for a long time. Nothing new with IE8 or IE7.

Some of the cleaners are free.

22. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Truer words...... ;)

But regarding the OP and the index.dat file in the PrivacIE folder with IE8, I'm having a tough time figuring out the exact issue. Just as a test since I don't really use IE8 for much of anything, I selected the index.dat file to be wiped with Eraser and encountered no problems with that procedure; the file was nuked and then re-created the next time I started IE8, which wound up being 16K on my machine.

Although the file *may* be encrypted and it could be argued that it either should be nuked upon exiting IE8 or even that it shouldn't exist in the first place, it's not a huge chore to blast it away. Perhaps a future build of CCleaner will support wiping that file.

23. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have R-Wipe too. I use it every so often. So if I run through all of the categories listed to clean, does that automatically take care of all of the index.dat files?

24. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Caspian, concerning Internet related items, I have R-Wipe&Clean configured run automatically at startup to wipe and delete the following categories: Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, Typed URLs, Flash Player Cookies, and Java Files. Used in this way, yes – the contents of the “index.dat” files are wiped.

You can verify this outcome by launching R-Wipe&Clean at logon, clicking any of the categories (e.g., History), and inspecting the displayed contents in the right window pane of the utility.

25. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks. That's simple enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.