Index.Dat File

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by zarzenz, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Guys,

I seem to have got a combination of programs running that is keeping the cookies I need and killing the others and at the same time removing all strays in the index.dat file.

I'm now using CookieWall
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm

and CacheSentry
    (cant get link to work... try google)

Starting with a completely clean 16kb index.dat file, I then loaded up both programs and then started visiting my good sites to get the required cookies. Then I set up CookieWall to delete all others as they appear and then I found that CacheSentry seems to clean all the strays out on the next boot up so I'll test out this combination over the next few days to see how it goes.

2. helpin'

helpin' Guest

I'm confused about this thread. Are there people just trying to figure out how to clean the index.dat file? That is easily done by Window Washer or Tracks Eraser Pro. I like TRP better (ONLY "pro" though. The cheaper version doesn't wipe), though Window Washer is a good program. They also both let you keep "good" cookies and wipe the others. I am just not sure what the issue of this thread is. There's nothing to cleaning index.dat but running one of those or countless other programs. Am I missing something?

Tracks Eraser Pro: http://www.acesoft.net/
    Window Washer: http://www.webroot.com/washer.htm
    Both of these programs also have plug-ins for hundreds of programs and TRP has a very simple plug-in maker.
    Free 30 day trials for both.

Seems there's a lot of time being spent on something that can be done so easily. I must be missing something. If I am and it's passed right over my dull brain, fill me in.

3. zarzenz

Hello helpin,

Ok... you are absolutely right in everything you say and I can see how you are confused so I will now try and explain better what I'm doing here.

First of all... this index.dat problem has been developing with me as I get into this subject more and by that I mean at the start of all this I didn't even know what these 3 files were doing (or that the 2 hidden ones even existed).

So when I first started looking at cleaner programs that said they could deal with the cookies/cache/history I was pleased until I then discovered (mainly by using the spider program) that this index.dat file kept a reference all of its own which was a difficult thing to clean without the correct program or DOS batch file running... simply deleting the contents of the unhidden cookies one was not the answer.

So then I got to know about programs like window washer and purgeie etc which all worked well except for one big problem... they are all shareware.

Ok... now you see where I'm coming from.

I am a bit of a freeware type person. I dont like paying for programs if I can find a freeware version that does everything I need. Otherwise it would take all the fun out of trying 'new stuff' as I cant afford to do that all the time.

In fact... I'll be honest... I liked purgeie so much that I was just about to register it after its 15 day ran out when I found the above combination working.

I must now stress the importance to me of not just deleting the index... heck thats the easy bit, but it will leave stray cookies that are not actually seen in the cookies folder that are still referenced in the index. If you open the index.dat with notepad and scroll down the list you can see them as plain as day and this was my task... to be able to save the cookies I want (only about 5 or 6) and kill all the others and yet not produce any stray references anywhere that could be viewed.

By the way this is because I'm a bit of a clean up nut. I just dont like anything hanging around on my computer if I dont use it... thats all.

So hope this sorts out whats going on here. The ability to keep everything as I want it but without paying if I can do it for free. I dont think I can be more honest than that and if freeware stuff is made available then I think it should be used to the full and enjoyed as the authors of the programs intended.

4. Only if you are running Win98.

Consider using Mr Bears delete on your system as a tool. Once installed, you can clean out index.dat and other files on demand.

You can download it from here and it is free.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,1870282~root=security,1~mode=flat

There are other free ones available on the Internet..but make sure they will work with your OS.

This one is a simple batch file with a GUI.

5. zarzenz

MyNethingyman... thanks for that link... I'll take a close look at it later and run through some of the forum posts there... all info on this subject I'm currently soaking up like a sponge. Only problem for me on that one is I'm running WinME so probably wont be suitable but still worth looking at for reference etc... cheers.

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

There's also a special version of BearsDelete for WME. Pete

7. Yeovil

Yeovil Registered Member

Here are two good little (FREE) programs that I use.....

Spider.....http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

Spider will show you what is contained in your hidden index.dat file, and give you the option to delete it.

Xen.....http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mrx9000/

Xen will also delete the hidden index.dat file with one of it's cleanup options, plus has other options to do a WHOLE lot more cleaning on your system.
    It does not list the contents of the index.dat file for viewing though.

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yeovil - Welcome to the forum!

Yes, a lot of us here have experience with both Spider and Xen (BTW, please use caution with some of the options available in Xen - you can wipe out stuff you might really need with a single click if you get too happy while using it! :D ). Pete

9. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Here's the newsletter I recently published on this. There are some serious problems in using batch files to delete these items, due to their inherent recoverability:

Perhaps it's a result of the times. I've been seeing a growing interest once again around the security forums and newsgroups in Internet Explorer's index.dat file, its contents and how to go about cleaning it out. Many are recommending setting up batch files to delete cookies, history recent files and other temporary internet files at bootup. As it was in the days of the MM256 and MM2048 databases, index.dat is locked once Windows is up.

There's a problem with doing this that just about everyone seems to be missing. Deleting files with DOS commands are just as recoverable as those deleted through the Recycle Bin. We know that files in Recycle Bin are readily accessible until the bin is emptied, and recoverable afterward, but most of us miss the "Undelete" command in the "C:\Windows\Command" folder. Deletions in DOS are recoverable, and it's possible for a trojan with "Command Line Access" to invoke this call, restore those deleted files, and recover your internet tracks. It's easy for your employer and probably some of your family members on your home network , for instance, to do the same.

These batch files don't catch many of the other files associated with index.dat and the IE browser that show up in other locations (and are also hidden from ready access through the OS). Fishing these out can get very tedious, time consuming and can require getting around in the system registry, where many users fear to go (wisely) given the risk of potential harm to their system. Auto-restore features in the newer Windows versions can end up restoring everything if the user doesn't know how to go about completely disabling it first.

If you're among those with a rising concern about others finding out what's on your system, you need to consider how you wish to go about securing your deletions, which is done by overwriting the disk space formerly occupied by those files, above and beyond the deletion of the file header done by Windows (and MS- DOS). Our IEClean makes it all much easier as it gets around the operating system file locks to clean and overwrites the specific files, along with the "orphan" file segments stored elsewhere in hidden locations on your system, and completely disables the Auto-restore feature in Windows to ensure the files can't come back. Our FileVac (included with IEClean and available as a standalone) handles whole-disk overwrites of unused disk space and secure individual file deletions from the desktop, providing the protection of secured deletion for the whole system.

From a user: IEClean works great on spyware, wiping it out after every session. No need to have additional monitoring programs running while you surf. Keep your privacy AND speed up your system and connection by losing that monitoring software. Every program that runs uses system resources and slows your connection if it's sniffing packets. No need for it with IEClean!

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Nancy,

I'm with you here in regard to your theory concerning the index.dat files - thanks for the contribution!

regards.

paul

11. zarzenz

Hi Nancy,

IEClean was recommended to me to try a while back, but... it only appears to be available on purchase from the very start... no trial period... why is this?

My problem with this type of software is I'm really fed up now with some programs claiming to be able to completly delete or wipe the index.dat file and then when a test with spider is preformed after the said clean is done... lo and behold... the files are still sitting there as plain as day for all to see. This is not good.

So yeah... whilst I would love to try IEClean as it does look very well thought out from the screenshots, I don't want to have to pay for it and then find it also gives me the same poor result as some of the others.

So why not make it available as a 5 day trial. After all, it would only need a couple of tests to see if it did the full job and then it could be purchased. If it's as good as it looks and from what you said above then it would sell easy I'm sure and in fact you may sell more if the trial option was there because there must be loads of people like me who want to try it but don't want the hassle of getting money back if it doesn't... I don't like that idea... too much risk involved with using credit cards and then finding you got to go back for refunds etc... trialware is much better.

So Nancy... any chance of doing that and letting us give IEClean a good workout for a few days and then we can all see how good it really is and dump all the other rubbish programs where they belong... in the trash can.

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Zarzenz,

With respect to the money-back policy of PSC, a little story:
    From my own experience (as I posted in another thread months ago) I can tell you that it really works perfectly:
    once, after buying the upgrade from IEClean 5.5 to version 6.0, I seemed to have problems with it; I overreacted and asked Nancy my money back; within a few hours it was confirmed both by her and by DigitalRiver that I would get my money back; and yes, indeed, I did get my money back; then I realised that it was just my own fault and that I didn't want to use my machine without IEClean; so, I bought the upgrade once again; happy end of the story! :)

13. zarzenz

Hi FanJ,

Yep... it was your recommendation a while back that I was referring to above and I have seen other posts of yours where you have mentioned it and so I really would like to try it.

Now don't get me wrong here as I am in no way saying that I don't trust what you or Nancy have claimed about this program... quite the reverse in fact... I can't wait to try it and see for myself how good it is based on your comments... there is no better way to get good programs other than recommendation from satisfied users.

And fair enough... if the money back thing is that good then maybe, just maybe, I'll give that route a try.

But my point was and still is... why not make IEClean available as a very short trial period and written in such a way that would make reinstallation impossible like other similar programs do... PurgeIE being one example.

That way the user could test it out over a few days and then when the days expire... it would have to be purchased to be re-activated and then everyone would be happy and if by some chance some little part of the program did not function as the user anticipated... then no problem... it could be uninstalled and forgotten about.

Anyway thanks FanJ for your comments... I'll think it over and may put an order in but I'll wait to see if Nancy would like to respond first... then decide for sure... cheers.

14. Which reminds me Pete,
    I think you will find that the bd.zip offered at the free wilders download is the one for Win98. I think it should be marked there someplace that it is for 98.

The one for ME was called beardelete2.exe.

I have a copy of it. If you guys want it to offer I am sure he will not mind. But Wilders should make a note on the one they offer is for win98. it will save people a lot of headaches :rolleyes:
    Regards,
    John

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Zarzenz,

I'll ask Nancy to have a look, but I think that PSC will not change their policy with respect to trial versions; it has been asked in the past by others too....

Cheers, Jan.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi John,

Thanks! I have send Paul W. an IM about it.

Cheers, Jan.

17. zarzenz

Thanks FanJ,

I'll be away from the board for the next few days.

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

zarzenz,

Nancy will no doubt correct me in cas I'm wrong: PSC has taken this route to avoid software piracy. Goes for all their software as far as I know.

John,

You're absulotely right here..

Not sure if we have a copy: obliged if you would send us a copy webmaster@wilders.org

We'll address this on the next update; thanks!

regards.

paul

19. Emailed BearDelete2.zip this AM :)

Good luck to all of you on the idex.dat

IEClean works great...but there are many others out there to satisfy everyone's need.

20. controler

controler Guest

A bat file on boot is a very good idea. Isn't it funny we don't want to give up DOS?

You don't need to use the DELETE or DELTREE command. You can run any DOS based EXE file. Wasn't scorch a DOS based file deleter?
    1. Delete files for good
    2. Delete Sawp file on shutdown

http://www.bonaventura.free-online.co.uk/realdelete/

http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers/index-wipe.html

DOS Commands:

http://www.easydos.com/dosindex.html

A MUST HAVE FREE DOS programs link:

http://members.cox.net/dos/

*Fixed one link. Pete
    Thanks Pete :D

21. john little

john little Guest

Hi everyone, Wilders is still the best place on the net to kick this stuff around and discuss. By the way, Checkout, (one of my faves on the board), I am impressed reading how concerned you have become with privacy issues. I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but be sure and make Privacy Digest a daily stop. Updated daily and the latest is always there: http://www.privacydigest.com/.....Oops, I'm hijacking the thread! Sorry. On to business....and this is an important issue.......

I wanted to address zarzenz on this issue of trialware for IEClean. I agree with you, it would be nice. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, Kevin and Nancy McAleavey and PSC made the right decision from the start on this. This is their business - not a hobby. If they made IEClean available in trial versions, it is of such quality that it would take no time at all for it to be available all over the Internet with cracks, serials and warez. They would lose A LOT of money, and they're not big enough to absorb the losses. I would prefer them to continue making money and spending their time researching new software as opposed to spending their time constantly having to issue new releases on their old software to keep a step ahead of the crackers.

As nice as it would be to have trialware for IEClean, the reasons they don't are sound - and I support them 100%.

Best to you,
    John Little
    "Luv2BSecure"

22. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hey, stranger! Great to see you posting! Don't hesitate to do MORE of it in the future! Pete

23. snowman

snowman Guest

stranger indeed.......good to see you Luv2...been awhile...hope all has been well.......doing good I hope.

snowman

24. John Little

John Little Guest

Hey! Thanks for the "hellos"...I read what you all have to say all the time. Pete, hope you're doing okay and snowy, I hope this finds you feeling well. I just felt strongly enough about PCS not using trialware that would keep them busy staying a step ahead of the crackers to post. Thanks for the notes!

John
    "luv2BSecure"

25. zarzenz

Hi John Little,

First of all, apologies for my late reply but I've been on vacation in Cornwall, England for the last week and this is the first chance I've had to return to the board.

Anyway... to get back to the subject of the trial offer of IEClean etc.

John... I read your reply... and it was so clear and precise and made so much sense that I want to say I'm sure you are right. I don't know anything about Kevin and Nancy or PSC but you have convinced me that everything you posted there is the right way for them to do business.

Thanks John for that, all the best to you and everyone else who has contributed to this thread which has helped me get to grips with the index.dat problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.