Index.bat file cannot be removed!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by shelren, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelren

shelren Registered Member

In my c:\windows\temporary internet files\ and the c:\windows\temp\cookies\ file, I have the file index.dat, in a folder labeled Content IE5, and I cannot remove it. The properties information only reads that it is an index.dat file. When I try to do anything with it, I get the message that it is access denied and I have to make sure the disk is not write-protected, etc. I have run Adaware, am running Spyguard, ID Blaster, and FileChecker, and also have Scotty the Watch Dog, MRU Blaster, and SpyBlaster -- all to no avail. What is this thing?! How do I get rid of it?!!

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi shelren,

Index.dat is the Internet Explorer cache index file. It facilitates the browser cache mechanism that speeds access to frequently accessed web pages across different browser processes in the same user context

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301057

Have a look here if you still want to clean it:
    http://www.igorshpak.net/
    I will move this thread to another fourm so others can add their favorites.

Regards,

Pieter

3. ghost_13

ghost_13 Registered Member

if you have Win98/SE then you can use Spider or Bears Delete to get rid of all index.dat files (both @ http://wilders.org/free_tools.htm ) ...i don't know if either work on newer versions of windows tho. if your hard drive is partitioned, then you might need to go with Spider, as i think BD only cleans index.dat files on C: drive.

here's instructions how to remove index.dat files manually in XP: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3668551,00.html

i just found this, but i don't know anything about it/whether it's any good, etc. ...but it (allegedly) works for Win XP: CleanCache 2.2 (free)
    http://www.rocketdownload.com/program.php?id=8112

well, if you have any other version of windows, i suggest a google search for 'delete index.dat program software free [insert windows version]' (or something similar).

4. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I've been using Index.dat Suite, also free, because it was recommended by a friend who knew more than I do. I don't have a clue HOW it works, though I''m sure those reading this will. I only know the sequence of steps to use it. It does a good job, in that it clears what it's intended to clear relatively quickly & without a single error message, crash or BSOD since the tail end of last November, when I first installed it. I use it most nights, just before I defrag and shut down, so it's had plenty of opportunities to cause trouble if it was going to. (I've got WinXP Home in my Dell 2350).

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'd also like to point out that Index.dat Suite does a much more thorough job than CleanCache v2.12 (at least in regard to cleaning the index.dat's themselves) - and without the necessity of d/l'ing and installing Microsoft.net Framework.

I just this morning ran CleanCache v2.12 and re-started the computer - then I ran IdS and it found a 700+KB index.dat in the family profile and a 40KB one (CC did clean the ones in my profile, however). Immediately ran IdS and re-started, and all the family profile ones were deleted.

I highly recommend Index.dat Suite for those concerned about keeping the index.dat issue under control.

http://www.it-mate.co.uk/support/idsuite_download.asp Pete

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  7. Ruffian

Ruffian Guest

Basically it looks for index.dat files, creates a bat file, that will delete those files on the next startup (regonce) before explorer.exe locks it and makes it impossible to remove.

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Hmmm...I guess I did understand it.:D Thank you, Ruffian. It's rare (to me, anyhow) for anything that happens inside a computer to be explainable in one sentence!:)

9. Ruffian

Ruffian Guest

It depends on how deep into the details you want to go so the explaination can be much longer. But yes, you should try to understand generally what is happening, rather than blindly just using stuff which appears to be the attitude of so many people here.

10. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I've found that my computer stays healthier if I follow the advice of those I come to trust along the way. I don't give the trust or use anything blindly, nor have I sensed others doing so.o_O You'd understand that I'm doing what's wisest if you saw what I achieved by using my own judgement to handle the 3 computers I had on the Internet before this one...since early in 2000.:oops:

I've opted for a happy medium. I understand things VERY generally.:D I'll never have more than a small fraction of the knowledge that other members here at Wilders call upon to help me when I ask for advice, even if I spent MONTHS reading...and missing the word games with my group of friends that I enjoy AND am much better at than I am at caring for the computer.;) With the good advice I've been lucky enough to be given, the computer is secure AND I can enjoy it! For me, it's the best of both worlds. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.