Incremental size lastest enterprise build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TonioRoffo, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

For testing purposes, we have installed V2I protector 2.03 and Acronis Enterprise edition on the same machine.

First base backup was almost identical, with Acronis slightly smaller at standard compression. However....

Incremental size of backups (daily after base backup)

V2I vs Acronis (rounded)

60mb - 400mb
    40mb - 520mb
    120mb - 1100mb (!!!)

What's with the incrementals? They are four to eight times less efficient than V2I?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tonio,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image includes into incremental image all the information that has been changed after the previous image creation. Even if the data was moved from one sector to another (i.e. there is no change on the file level) these changes will be included into the image. This approach allows you to take into account all the changes even if they were done not under Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. TonioRoffo

Ilya,

I understand Incremental, thank you.

It's just when comparing a competing product to yours (one that has been unchanged for over a year), that

A) V2I's incrementals are made much faster

B) True Image has much bigger incrementals

Maybe your product is better (taking it account even things that didn't get written to the disk under windows) but I've never seen a bad V2I incremental image yet.

Anyway, great product, i'm sure in a year or so it's a killer product!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tonio,

There is another benefit of the described approach - you don't need to have any process in the system that controls the changes you perform. Consequently, you don't need to have any special file where the list of changes is stored (and this file may appear to be huge).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. TonioRoffo

I'd still check this in a lab environment, Acronis is being outperformed in speed and size of incrementals (on occasion up to tenfold larger incremental)

Sooner or later someone will test this head to head in a magazine or such?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.