Incremental file backup.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bleev, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleev

bleev Registered Member

I'm using True Image Home version 11, and am wondering how to backup my files So they mirror each other. Let's say I do a full backup of my documents. Then I delete a file or entire folder and do an incremental backup A week later. If I were to restore using that backup will my deleted file and folder be also deleted When that backup is restored.

Point being is that I don't want to restore files and folders that I wanted deleted.

For instance, I did a backup of my music a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, I renamed an entire album and added more music. I would like to do an incremental backup, but am worried that my backup file will contain the renamed music as well as the originally named music. In other words, when I restore from that backup I will have two sets of the same album because I changed the album title.

Thanks to any help, you can provide.

2. bleev

bleev Registered Member

Anyone have experience with this?

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try doing an actual backup and restore using just a few of the files/folders.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bleev,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that when you restore a backup, the data restored will be the same that existed at the time the backup was created. In your example, when you restore a backup that was created after the folder was renamed, the resulting folder will be renamed as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

But if you restore a backup created earlier, it will restore the the file as it was befreo being renamed.

Some options that might help:

IF you don't rename, then you can tell ATI not to overwrite files that are newer.

If it's a full backup, you can open the backup and delete from it the files you don't want to restore. This, makes an incremental that excludes the "deleted" file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.