Incremental encyrpted local backup utility alternative to Duplicity?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wearetheborg, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

I want to backup data and upload to online hosting services.
    I first want to encyrpt my data locally that I want to backup. Since I will be making changes locally to the data, I want some sort of incremental imaging system where the incremental changes are stored in seperate files so that I only have to upload the incremental encrypted changes.

Duplicity is an option, but it uses GPG, which makes it a bit complicated; and I was wondering if there was any alternative which was simpler as I am only doing the encryption and backup locally.

2. wearetheborg

Bump, anyone?
    To clarify, the backup files will be made locally, and then the backup files will be uploaded to online hosting services.

Therefore, I want the backup files to be in encrypted form so that even if the online hosting service decides to peek into the files, they get nothing.

3. katio

katio Guest

This is the really easy way, especially if you make a fresh ubuntu install, but of course you can set up ecryptfs manually and on other distros as well:
    Select the "encrypted home" option during install and then simply rsync the .Private or .ecryptfs directory, ftp would work too if you don't have ssh access but it's less efficient. This would backup all your files in ~/.

4. wearetheborg

That is not a bad idea.
    As I gather, ecryptfs encrypts on the file level? That is if I have two files foo and baz; both encryped; and I make changes to baz; encrypt will only need to rewrite baz during (re)encryption?

In such a scenario, say baz is a large file, and I only change/add one line, will the encrypted baz be completely different, or only be different in one line?

And ecryptfs preserves the directory structure? Although it encrypts the directory/file names; the structure in the encrypted store is the same as the original?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.