Incremental backups of incremental backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by netBAT, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netBAT

netBAT Registered Member

Hi,

I'm using Paragon Drive Backup 10 to create incremental backups of my computer onto another computer (over 1gbit LAN). The incremental backups are scheduled once a week and are stored on a dedicated drive on the LAN'd "backup server".

Now, I want to add an additional backup in form of a USB HDD connected to the "backup server". I'd like to schedule incremental backups of the contents of "backup server" backup drive onto the USB external drive.

Should look something like this as a flow chart:

My PC (weekly incremental backups) -> Dedicated drive on "backup server" (base archive+increments) -> USB HDD (scheduled incremental backups of "backup server" backup drive contents).

In effect the backup job onto the USB drive should contain base archive+incremental backups of a base archive+incremental backups.

Is it safe to do it this way?
    Can Paragon safely perform incremental backups of it's own archives?

Thanks.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Although you could technically do it by disabling the setting in Tools, the disadvantage of it is you have to restore twice to get to the files you want. Rather than doing a backup of a backup, why not do one backup twice to different locations?

Incremental backup works at the file level, so if the new file is slightly changed, the entire file will be backed up again. That needs to be taken that into consideration if space will be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.