Incremental backups failing. "Internal error: password required (0x70001)"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zichaj, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zichaj

zichaj Registered Member

I'm running the latest version of True Image Home (9.709).

I set TI up at the end of March to do a full image backup to an external NAS (HP Media Vault 2120) and then an incremental backup every night. The first full backup and then the first incremental backup worked just fine.

I just went back in to make sure everything was still ok and found out that the 1st incremental backup was also the last. The second incremental backup did not work (Error reading the file. (0x40001). (A seconary issue is that the task never completed but shows green green on the calendar as if it did). Every backup since this time has been terminated with the following message.

Operation with partition "0-0" was terminated. Details: Internal error: password required (0x70001) Tag = 0xA6E0A29E1CCAF0CD.

I do not have the image folder on the NAS password protected.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. oracledba

oracledba Registered Member

When you define a job there are panels for the username password for the remote network as well as username/passwords for the local machine. Try defining a new job giving values for both pannels. To test I would schedule the job for 10 minutes into the future and then restart your PC. But do not use the pc or logon to it simply wait for the new job to work - it should. If it does it will always work regardless of you being logged on the pc or not (just so long as the pc is on). Assuming this worked to change the schedule on the new entry to fit your needs

If the above works I suspect the reason your first incr worked was you had already manually connected to that folder and windows already had an open link to it so when acronis ran it was able to use the link.
    After that you rebooted and acronis no longer had a link and could not log in itself.

On a related note, its not a bad idea to also click the pannels such that a FAILURE of any backup sends you an e-mail. Personally I like the full backups to send me e-mail on success or failure with incr backups only e-mailing on failure. Doing this gives you assurance you have backups are occuring and notified in a timley manner when something is broken

3. zichaj

zichaj Registered Member

Thanks oracledba. I still don't see a panel for the second password. Just the main password and then an option for an encryption key password.

So I tried your idea and the new backup is running. I'm guessing it's going to take 5 hours or so. If this runs I'll do some incremental backups the same way and see what happens.

I'm still confused because I do not have the network drive password protected right now and I tried running the scheduled backup after opening the destination folder to make sure my PC was connected to it. It appears that something happened with the scheduled backup configuration? I'll let you know what happens after I run some incremental backups. I'll try to run one tonight and one tomorrow morning.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zichaj and oracledba,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

zichaj,

Do you have any news about the issue?

If you still expereince the backup operation failure, please make sure that the user account on the NAS under which you are trying to backup to it, belongs to the administrator group. The administrator group should belong to Read/Write group.

Also, please set the archive splitting to 2 GB

NAS buffer may overflow if the files are larger than 2 GB.

Try setting Archive splitting in Acronis True Image to 2 GB:

1. Click "Tools" and select "Options";
    2. Click "Archive splitting" and set the size to 2 GB.

See if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. zichaj

zichaj Registered Member

Ok so my issue is resolved but I still don't know what happened. I ended up removing the daily scheduled backup that was not working and making a new one. The first new one I created was just a single event backup. It ran overnight and completed a full backup (although it was smaller than the original backup I did??). I then made a new scheduled backup to run daily. Even though I told it to use the new backup I had just created it made a 3rd full backup. That is the one that the incremental backups are now based on. I need a few more days to play around with this and learn how the validation backups work.

Thanks for the help,
    Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.