Incremental backups apart from Full Image DVD's?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dooboarder, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooboarder

dooboarder Registered Member

System: Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop, XP pro, DVD+RW drive, Roxio EZ CD creator v5.x, ATI 8.0 build 763.

I have successfully created and verified the 25GB of data on my 60 GB hard drive on (4) DVD+RW discs, using minimal compression.

Questions:

1. Should I perform some sort of "test run" restore to triple-check this back-up? If so, what?

2. I'd prefer to store the 4 discs in a bank vault. But if I do, how do I make an daily incremental back-up without living at the bank? Seems that ATI insists that I insert disc #4 to start an incremental b/u. Can I clone the #4 disc?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dooboarder,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

The thing is that Acronis True Image does require access to the full image in order to make an incremental one.

1) Please create Acronis bootable rescue media (CD or a set of floppies) and try to boot your computer from it. If it boots successfully then you can be sure that you will be able to restore the image if needed.

2) You need all four disks in order to create an inremantal backup. We recommend you to copy them into the same forlder on your hard disk and then create incremental image appending changes to the copied image files.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. PINTO

PINTO Registered Member

Question - does the incremental back-up create a new file or does it somehow change the full back-up. In otherwords, will the DVD's previously burned still be good. All I need is to burn the incremental files?
    Thanks

4. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

The Original files are left untouched and additional files are created as part of the incremental backup.

Storage_man

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PINTO,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image needs previous image file to create the new incremental because it needs to compare the current data with the previous state of the system. All the previous images are not touched.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.