Incremental backups and defragging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter2150, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Does running a disk defragmentation program between incremental backups create any problems.

Also is there a limit to how many incremental backups one should run before it is wise to do another complete backup.

Thanks, Pete

2. rpwt

rpwt Registered Member

Good questions. I've wondered the same for quite awhile. If shuffling files around via defrag (or various other copy mechanisms) is a bad idea, this should be noted in some FAQ.

Another 'physical' backup program (Connected.com) that I use seems to understand the linkage between file path and content and doesn't store more than one copy/set_of_changes per file, no matter where I've moved it (even to another mapped drive!)

3. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

Yes, I would like to know the answers to these questions as well.
    Thanks,
    Skyhawk

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

It doesn't create any problems, it just means that the next incremental following a defrag would be pretty much the same size as a full backup - in which case it's a good opportunity to make a new full anyway.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I do a full backup once a month with incrementals in-between. Right before I do the full backup, I reorg the registry and do a defrag, then run the full backup. Works for me.

6. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

q1aqza and Ed Y,
    Thanks for your responses. You both mention no problems creating backups with no mention of successful restores after a defrag. Would either of you have done successful restores after a defrag?

q1aqza,
    Your mention of the next incremental backup after a defrag being about as large as the full backup is disturbing. Sounds like something is changing with a defrag.

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think things do change with a defrag, as TI is sector based on file based. Saw that in the Users Guide, and that is what prompted my question.

The defragging doesn't cause my incrementals to be nearly the size of my original image, but I do a defrag daily, and then take the incremental. So the changes are minor.

8. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I haven't done any total restoring but have restored a few files/folders with no problems.

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I don't defrag that often, only when I notice slow downs or if I have in/un-installed numerous apps. In my case the incrementals are quite large as there are a lot of changes to the sectors, so therefore I opt for a new full.

Not sure what you mean about restores after a de-frag. If I de-frag and then restore a previous incremental then the fragmentation reverts to whatever state of fragmentation the incremental had imaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.