Incremental backup puzzle

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brachd, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brachd

brachd Registered Member

I created a full backup of my own data which resulted in two files 650MB and 388MB
    When I created the first incremental backup and again restricted the file size to 650MB I found that I had 3 files 665MB, 480MB and 1.4MB
    Why did the 1.4 MB file not go into the second file which had room?
    Also can I delete the first full backup since the Incremental backup seems to include that as well.
    I created two CD from the origional backup. How can I upgrade the two Cds with this new backup or do i have to always create new CDs?
    Blair

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello branchd,

Thank you for your great interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Please see my reply to your previous post... it seems to me that I have replied you today concerning the problem with incremental backups.

"Why did the 1.4 MB file not go into the second file which had room?" - this is really strange. Please contact support@acronis.com regarding this issue.

"Also can I delete the first full backup since the Incremental backup seems to include that as well." - please see my reply to your previous request.

"I created two CD from the origional backup. How can I upgrade the two Cds with this new backup or do i have to always create new CDs?" - We regret to inform you that you cannot upgrade it. Our Development Team will work on this feature in the future.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Thank you for your help
    Are you saying that all backups created in ATI on a HD have to be burnt as new items? Does this also apply to DVD disks?
    Blair

4. Acronis Support

Dear Blair,

You can not upgrade backup written to any kind of media using a new backup created on a HDD. You can only rewrite this backup with the new one if the media is rewritable.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

5. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Would a sensible policy be to backup to the HD then burn to a DVD+RW disk with the first full backup.
    Then with each Incremental backup on the HD, burn to the same DVD+RW disk.
    Would this automatically delete the first Full Backup on the disk or would it add it if there was enough room?
    Or should I delete the Full backup first on the CD and then add the latest Incremental backup?
    Hope this makes sense!
    Blair

6. Acronis Support

Hello Blair,

Please contact support@acronis.com if you have any questions.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.