Incremental back up - ok so I'm confused

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by penandme, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penandme

penandme Registered Member

Hi
    I backed up the boot drive with v 9.0, build 5541 about 4 weeks ago to another drive and would like to do an incremental back up now. I looked in the options and cant work out how to do it,
    Can you tell me the best way please....thx

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

If you made a full backup image ( archive ) of the partitions\drive, you can make a DIFFERENTIAL partition backup using the differential backup wizard, point to the original image (archive ) as the base.

If you made a file backup, you can make an INCREMENTAL file backup , using the original file backup as the base.

Hope it helps.

3. penandme

Thx for the reply

I tried including the original archive db but the Add button is ghosted so I cant proceed.

4. penandme

I should have mentioned that it was a full image backup of a boot partition that I am trying to update.

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

That's because you are trying to do an incremental file backup onto a partition image backup. Can't be done.

You need to make a file backup first. Then you can do an incremental file backup using the original file backup as the base.

If you want to update a partition/drive image backup, then use the Differentail backup wizard, not the Incremental backup wizard.

Hope it helps.

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

IMO, doing the differential PARTITION backup is light years faster than the FILE backup. Using an FULL archive partition backup then doing a differential later takes about 20/22 min. However, doing the FILE backup took me almost 1½ hours. Drove me crazy and we're only talking 17gb. Will only do the diff backup in the future. Just my opinion....

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes PAT , same for me.

I never really bother with file backups per se. If I get a vital document/email - I just copy it somewhere safe immediately.

Frequent partition imaging is preferable imo. That assumes you have kept the partitions small, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.