INCREDIBLY flaky network problem, may or may not be ESS-related.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by veri, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veri

veri Registered Member

Been using ESS since a day after b1 was released.

Since installing it, I have been on the receiving end of a very, very strange complete loss of network activity that is:

• Not resolved by uninstalling/reinstalling (and in fact, the system freezes on uninstall);
    • Not resolved by using a Winsock fix linked elsewhere on this forum;
    • Not resolved by using the installer to somehow manage a full uninstall, and;
    • Not resolved by then doing a fresh reinstall.

Since I begun testing the suite, this has happened about three times. In each case, I have confirmed that it is NOT the following:

• Problem on my ISP's end;
    • A modem or router issue;
    • A NIC or ethernet cable problem.

What's odd is that a full restore via Acronis TrueImage does NOT fix the problem.

I've found that the only thing that seems to help is installing an old .11b wireless networking card. On two occasions, all I did was seat the card in a PCI slot, and upon reboot, the net connection was working just fine. No drivers were installed for the wireless card, and in fact, the card doesn't even show in the device manager. My wireless router is currently operating in wired-only mode, and here I am.

I have since reverted to using Nod32 v2.7 in the meantime since I simply haven't got the patience (or time, lately) to deal with such a problem again in the event that it is related to ESS.

Does anyone have any idea why this happened over and over?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Check your Power Management settings under Properties for the NIC in question. Make sure there are no check marks in any of the boxes.
    I`ll guess you have already checked for the latest drivers from the manufacturers website.

3. veri

veri Registered Member

Done, but how would that cause such an odd intermittent problem like this (and not be resolved when I unchecked said boxes when it happened last)?

4. ThunderZ

Guess you will have to ask MS about that. Sometimes Windows just does not know when to wake something up. So you are saying it seems the problem is corrected?

5. veri

veri Registered Member

Well, for now, anyway. I thought it might've been a sleeping NIC like you're suggesting since I had been playing with S3 recently, but even after changing my most recent settings there and rebooting, the problem wasn't fixed.

As of right now, it seems to be working, leaving me wondering if it's a problem with what I was doing with the NIC or if it's truly related to ESS. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

6. ThunderZ

We will hope it stays that way. If it does happen again take a look at the NIC setting. I have not heard of them resetting but have of other options in Windows doing so. If this does not solve the problem then post again. I am sure others will be able help in tracking down the culprit :ninja: , problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.