Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume after a windows 10 crash et resetup

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by x265, May 24, 2017.

1. x265

x265 Registered Member

Hi there. This is my first time posting to this forum. Based on a lot of previous threads I've been reading, I see many of you knowledgeable about TrueCrypt recovery.

quick story : 3 days I had a BSoD on my windows 10. I couldn't start again windows, it was looping and crashing when trying to reboot with the windows Automatic Repair.
    I've try self repair option build in windows 10 for fun, but nothing worked so I did a clean setup as I usually do, formating c: without touching my truecrypt partition d:

Problem :
    -Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume when I try to mount my truecrypt partition
    -I don't have a backup header
    -Use backup header embedded in volume if available doesn't work
    -TestCrypt can't find any truecrypt partition

what could I possibly try? I haven't touched/deleted/resized my truecrypt partition.

my last hope maybe, I've dumped the entire partition on an external hard drive in a new tc file with WinHex.
    I was thinking I could format my truecrypt partition and recreate one (same size, place, and password)
    so the header will be the same as before ? so I could do a backup header and restore it to my backup extrernal hard driveo_O

Any thought would be great. I'm desperate.

2. x265

x265 Registered Member

3. anonymiss

anonymiss Registered Member

If the volume was where you are trying it, it would likely give an error like "incorrect volume size" which is my problem. The phrase it is giving you may just be exactly that. Are you 100% certain it is hidden on the file you are trying to mount and the password is correct? If so, sorry, I am of no help. I wanted to ask Dantz for help personally but I am unable to figure out how to send a user a personal message. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/members/dantz.62505/
    You might want to follow his advice on the middle of this page for how to copy the partition etc. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/crc-error-truecrypt-cant-mount-volume.357357/
    I just tried it, but unfortunately I am no longer seeing the encrypted numbers and letters under ANSII ANSCII, just Unreadable sector. It said a bunch of gibberish before but not anymore so I might be screwed because it is not working. I am also wondering if I need some different numbers because I made several hidden trucrypts on the harddrive and it's just one that I need access to. (I think I might have put too many files into it, going over the size limit)

4. x265

x265 Registered Member

well I've already copy my partition into a new tc file on a external hard drive.
    And I've manually extracted the header with winhex following Dantz tutorial but nothing work, I've still have the Incorrect password msg.
    I think i'm ******. no header = not possible to recover any files even with the right password :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.