Incomplete Uninstall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whitedavidp, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedavidp

whitedavidp Registered Member

I have had to install/uninstall True Image 10 (actual retail AND Seagate Disk Wizard versions) several times (reformatting and re-installing Windows each time). I note that uninstall ALWAYS leaves behind (and running) the Acronis Scheduler Service. God only knows what other junk is left behind. But uninstalling services is well understood and there seems no reason at all why this should so blatantly be left behind.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Whitedavidp,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

We'd like to inform you that our Development Team is already working on this issue. The fix will be implemented in later program updates as soon as it is created.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

3. erim

erim Registered Member

I also uninstalled (MaxBlast 5). Besides the Scheduling service I also have another process, seen in services.msc. It has a long name, starts with ##Id_String1.6 and so on with various numbers.

Is it related to Acronis?

Anyway these issues should get fixed ASAP. I really really hate having processes running when the program is installed, let alone after it's supposedly been removed!

I never use any scheduled backups so I think it would make sense to not have those processes running (even with the program installed).

Thanks for your time and effort.

4. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

If you never use scheduled backups, you don't have to "install" Acronis at all. You can do everything using the recovery disk.

5. erim

erim Registered Member

And where do I get the recovery disk? [edit: this is a rhetoric question, in case it's not obvious]

6. erim

erim Registered Member

I hope there is not some censorship going on.
    The other thread about processes in general was perfectly valid and don't know why it got locked.

Even if the problem related to this thread gets fixed, the issue about unneded processes still exists and IMHO it's serious.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  8. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

The issue of TrueImage-related processes has been extensively discussed since version 9, with detailed explanations of the purposes of the various processes, how to disable them if desired, and why it doesn't really matter much.

Schedul2.exe and Schedhlp.exe are required to run tasks. TrueImageMonitor is required to see the progress icon in the system tray. TimounterMonitor is pretty much optional. For more information just search the forum.

9. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Attention: erim

Regarding the recovery disk, that name was not completely correct. It’s actually called Bootable Rescue Media. Within the installed True Image program you create this and burn to a CD or other options including an ISO image file. Having this at hand is important in that if your system drive crashes it is the method used to restore the image to a new drive. It can also be used to restore an image to a good drive as well as creating new image files and validating them. It does not have all of the features of the installed program but it’s an important tool have.

10. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

Or you can just use the Acronis disk as shipped.

11. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

This is not an option if you buy online and download the installation file. Subsequent downloads to obtain new build revisions would also be an issue. In my opinion it's best to create your own.

12. erim

erim Registered Member

So if it doesn't matter much can I suggest some additional processes for you to run on your PC? Would you like having some more processes running, even if you don't need them? Come on, it's not that of a big deal, right?

I don't really care if they can be disabled (tho you probably have to mess around in the registry or something...). The processes should never have started in the first place! If, and only if I decide to have some schedules running should the processes start.
    That's what I'd expect from a serious product.

Bruce Mahnke: I know all about the Bootable media, because that's what I use all the time. Trust me if I could just DL that instead of installing the program I would.

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

As Mkairys said, the in's and out's of the various Acronis True Image services have been well aired in this forum. Here are two links to what the services do and a third one that discusses how to manually start/stop some of them if you feel that way inclined:

schedul2.exe, schedhlp.exe and TrueImageMonitor.exe
    Timountermonitor.exe
    Starting & stopping TI processes

Personally, I accept the services for what they are. They occupy little system memory in comparison to the many other services and apps that are running in the background on my computer and consume zero CPU cycles when not actually being used.

Regards

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.