Incomplete RETURNIL uninstall problems

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by topper10, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topper10

topper10 Registered Member

HELP!I am having trouble reinstalling Returnil free-when attempting to install a notice is given that the prior uninstall was incomplete and must be complete before proceeding.

I did originally uninstall with Revo and deleted any additional registry entries. However one remains-Returnil.HostAPI Curver. Can this be safely deleted and could this be the problem? If not then how can I totally remove the last remnants of the prior uninstall? Thank You

2. korben

korben Registered Member

There were several complaints before.
    e.g.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=262280

Wait for Mike
    all I can say is...whenever there is a new version available I also find myslef inclined to restore my system image so I've never had the need to uninstall Returnil.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello topper10 and welcome to the forums :)

That is a likely cause for the damaged uninstall. Revo has a bug that causes this issue. Please download and attempt to install the latest 3.1 release version. The first attempt is expected to fail so try a couple of more times and let me know the result.

Mike

4. topper10

topper10 Registered Member

Thanks guys-It seemed to work this time. I will let you know if other problems arise with Returnil. If I ever have to uninstall again is there a better way-perhaps a specific removal tool as has Symantec and McAfee?

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Using the add/remove programs feature of Windows is sufficient to uninstall RVS 2010 as long as you make sure all other security programs are deactivated during this process. Where issues occur is when something either uninstalls improperly or blocks a part of the uninstall process.

For those situations where this is not followed or the environment has unexpected complexities, we have upgraded the installer in the last few builds to provide repair features that can correct the damage and allow the uninstaller to complete its task.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.