Incoming pings from shaw.ca in Mcafee Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by susanherna, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susanherna

susanherna Registered Member

I have noticed that in the past week, my Mcafee Personal Firewall has blocked an increasing number of incoming pings from people using Shaw.ca as their ISP. I have only been online 20 minutes today, and it has already blocked twenty five attempts. Several of them were multiple attempts from the same IP address. They were all attempting to access Port 1027. Anybody know what is going on.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Could not find anything definitive in that port, but my advice would be to get a router to deal with the inbound so that your software firewall doesn't bother with these warnings. With the router, you know you are stealth and have 2 layers to protect you in this instance.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Being with Shaw, those are normal. I use Shaw and, I believe, they have their customer base divided up over numerous LAN segments. My router blocks that type, I don't remember what it's called, some sort of "discovery", I tthink, of ICMP traffic daily. My daily logs contain numerous entries. A router is nice, but not necessary, as long as you have pc firewall. Even Windows built in will do the trick.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

A router better labels the pings, as to whether they may be "twinge attacks." If they are it could be an infected-pc on your lan trying to "do it's deed." Less vulnerabilities with the hardware compared to the software firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.