incoming Email scanning problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CesiaS, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

I bought Nod32 few days ago after doing all the research I could about possible problems with using Eudora and NOD32, as according to posts I read on this forum https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=99467&page=2 the only issue would be NOD32 not scanning .mbx file (mailboxes). I tried it for few days and decided that since NOD32 does scans Eudora incoming email I will buy the product and use something else to scan Eudora files on demand.

Yesterday I noticed that some of my incoming email does not have the
    "This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.eset.com"

I cannot quite figure out why , I have " enable IMON checking POP3 on port 110 and append tag message to all mail checked.

Someone sent me 2 emails yesterday they had had a doc attachments and a picture in the signature - they did not get a "checked by Nod32" tag. Some emails from yahoo groups do have the indication that they have been scanned and some don't. Some newsletters from Cnet get a tag, some don't.

I followed all the setting up instructions from https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

what am I missing? At the moment I do not feel I have protection for my email, since it looks as some emails do not get scanned??

Thank you
    Cesia

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Cesia, does the scan number in IMON increase with each email arriving?

Cheers :D

3. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Yes , I just send an email with one .doc attachment and signature with pics twice in a row and each time IMON count increased by 5

So IMON is scanning but not adding tags at times ?

Greetings from Brisbane
    Thanks
    Cesia

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The count increasing is the important part, tagging is not.

If a friend is sending you one that does not get tagged, ask then to resend it to me and I'll see if my NOD32 tags it: blackspear @ wilderssecurity.com

It may have something to do with it being a secure message such as Gmail, I'm not sure.

Cheers from the Gold Coast :D

5. cpj

cpj Registered Member

I use Thunderbird. Do my emails get scanned? They have the "scanned by" tag, though. Did not I read several years ago that a different part of NOD scans non Outlook emails?

CPeter

6. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

POP3 mail is scanned by IMON, and IMAP is handled by EMON.

7. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Thanks for the offer , the non-tagged communication with .doc attachment came to me in my capacity as a secretary of a club, Mailer details
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.6353
    Thread-Index: AcdFHa1Fy5Ss6HW1T+CptdMeJ0mrrw==
    Sensitivity: Company-Confidential

so I cannot ask for it to be resend to you. I forwarded this email to myself -again no tag.

Today I received 2 emails/digests from QImage forum (printing software qimage@yahoogroups.com)
    The first email ( only 3 posts ) clearly got scanned (tagged), the second one containing 25 posts possibly got scanned , but has no tag . yesterday's QImage digest containing 19 posts did not get tagged

I did not pick this problem with scanning emails when I was trying NOD32 as it clearly appears only with certain emails .

Today I also checked the results in Thunderbird - emails tagged in Eudora get tagged in Thunderbird, emails not tagged in Eudora do not get tagged in Thunderbird either.

Edited -
    I forwarded this email to myself again and this time used Outlook express - still not tagged

Otherwise I like NOD32 very much so I'm open to suggestions what I can do to rectify this problem

Thank you
    Cesia

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

By any chance, does one of the POP3/SMTP accounts you are checking with Qualcomm Eudora use a SSH connection?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.