INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after restoring an image with True Image 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Colin Finck, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Finck

Colin Finck Registered Member

Hello,

I made an image of a hard drive with a Windows XP partition with True Image 9.0 (I think it was Build 2293). That means I saved both the contents of the partition and the partition structure.

Now I restored this image, but Windows XP won't boot again. I always receive an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I also cannot boot into the Safe Mode.

What can I do to solve this problem?

The system:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+, Socket 939
    Mainboard: ASUS A8N-SLI (OEM version by Fujitsu-Siemens Computers, latest BIOS 0403 is flashed)
    Graphics Card: Leadtek GeForce 6800, 256 MB, PCI-Express
    RAM: 1 GB (2x 512 MB)
    Hard drive: Seagate ST3250823AS, 250 GB, 7200rpm, S-ATA NCQ

Many thanks in advance,

Colin Finck

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Colin,

TI 9.0 Home Build 3567 and higher will copy the MBR and Track 0 data into/out of an image, even when only backing up or restoring a single partition of a multi-partition system drive.

As far as I know, your build doesn't have this capability so the MBR would only be included in the image if you backed up the whole system disk (i.e. all partitions). This wouldn't matter if you subsequently restored the single partition back to the same drive whose MBR hasn't been altered, either through corruption or by changes to the disk's geometry. If that wasn't the case then you would need to restore a "whole disk" image in order to overwrite the existing MBR or, if restoring to a replacement drive, create a new MBR.

As to your existing problem, the first thing I would try is booting into the Windows Recovery Consol from a genuine Windows XP installation CD and run the command fixmbr. If you haven't got access to a Windows XP installation CD then download the mbrautowrite_en.exe file as detailed in the Acronis Support help thread titled <Please Read Before You Post>. Note that you can't just copy the mbrautowrite file to a floppy - you need to run it in order for it to create bootable floppy that contains the mbrautowrite utility.

If either of the above doesn't fix the problem then use the forum search facility to find other possible solutions you could try.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Colin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

If the instructions provided by Menorcaman do not help you to solve the problem then please also make sure that you restore the entire hard drive so that the hard drive's MBR is restored as well. To do so you should check the box near the hard drive's name (usually it is disk1, disk1, etc.). If you created an image of a single system partition then please make sure that the destination hard drive has exactly the same partition layout as it had at the moment when this particular backup archive was created. The size of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity should be the same. We also recommend that you restore your system to the partition of the same number it originally resided on. Otherwise, you will need to make the appropriate changes to your boot.ini file. Please see these previous threads for details: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr.

If the restored operating system still does not boot then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility on any other "healthy" computer;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue from this beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also tell us when the "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error message appears exactly.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Just check your boot.ini

Your partition number will be wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.