In seach of an anonymizer

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ignatius reilly, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ignatius reilly

ignatius reilly Registered Member

Hi everybody! I'm aware that the subject has been discussed many times on this forum but i still don't know which software to choose.
    To make it short, i'm looking for a software that would prevent as much as possible my ISP to watch/log my surfing because i'm not to confortable about that. I would be less concerned if a VPN provider, for exemple, would watch it.
    Concerning money, Xerobank and Perfect Piracy, as much as they seem interesting, are a bit too expensive for me.
    I have already tried Tor and Jap, but with javascript/flash revealing your ip is frustrating. I have try Janusvm too but it failed to connect.
    I could use some advice if you have the time. (sorry for my english by the way)

2. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

the only 2 off top of head is swiss vpn 5usd a month or steganous vpn at 14.95 a month i think

3. ignatius reilly

thx for your answer geazer. swisspn is unexpensive but it works with EAP-TTLS, do you think it's reliable ?

4. geazer40

geazer40 Registered Member

not as good as pp but i think if you are just trying to protect yourself from isp spying then i think swiss vpn is good

5. ignatius reilly

ok then i'll try swissvpn

6. culla

culla Registered Member

ad muncher has an ip scrambler

7. ignatius reilly

i know nothing about ip scrambling, i'm gonna get some information about it

8. ignatius reilly

ok i'm a bit confused here. what are the advantages of using anonymous proxies rather than a vpn?

9. box750

box750 Registered Member

SwissVPN uses PPTP according to their page, if middle man attacks worry you (eavesdroppers) I would not use them.

Perfect Privacy seems to be OpenVPN, Hideway.eu also uses OpenVPN starting at €6/month, but only 10GB download, so not good for torrents.

You can get 30 days free trial at Relakks, but they use PPTP, Hideway has some free trial too, just a few days, no credit card needed in both cases.

If you are only concerned about only your ISP, SwissVPN would do the job. IMHO. But VPN providers should start dropping PPTP, this is not a secure technology and they make people think it is.

I dont understand why you are concerned with Jondos and javascript, if you use their JondoFox browser (a custom Firefox) you will find that by default it comes with the NoScript Firefox plugin enabled and this disables javascript.

BTW: JanusVM is not a proxy by itself, it uses the tor network.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. tsec

tsec Registered Member

I use the paid service from JonDos - works fine for me :)

Give the 10 Euro / 1.5GB-1 year option a go - see if it suits your needs.

:)

11. ignatius reilly

box750 and tsec, thx for answering.
    About Jondos and Jondofox, if i block javascript/flash with Noscript then i won't be able to surf on many sites such as Youtube for exemple.

12. tsec

tsec Registered Member

The JonDoFox add-on comes with a heap of tools installed including various video downloaders :) I guess too if you wanted to, you could adjust all the permissions withing No Script, the browser itself etc to allow normal viewing on You Tube.

To be honest, I havent been to You Tube for quite some time. I might give it a go and see what happens :)

Edit: JonDoFox FAQ: https://www.jondos.de/en/jondofox/faq

13. ignatius reilly

Actually i should have read Jondosfox's faq before to use it.

Still, Youtube was just an exemple, Excite Mail is another, there are many sites that require javascript.

I was thinking that using a vpn would be more simple because everything seems to go through it but maby i'm totaly wrong about it.

14. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Have a go then at the freebie services from JonDos - see what you think... check their forum too for further info.

I like it. OK, it makes things difficult for Java dependant sites, but that can be dealt with.

All the best.

t

15. ignatius reilly

16. CoraAt

CoraAt Registered Member

If you are looking for something inexpensive I would suggest a free SSL proxy with javascript support. It encrypts your connection from your host to the proxy server, so your ISP can not track your activity. You can find a pretty good selection of open SSL proxies at upweweb proxy list.

17. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Your ISP cannot track your activity - but the free proxy server might be. Bad idea.

18. CoraAt

CoraAt Registered Member

Yeap. However, the question is if you trust the anonymity service provider or not - or just - if you care about it or not. Ignatius r. said that his point was to hide the traffic from ISP and not from VPN provider (the SSL proxy gives one kind of VPN gateway).

19. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

well if you can afford 15 us dollars/month i would suggest a couple of products.one is www.surfbouncer.com and is a 128 bit encrypted vpn and is very fast.they are american as well you could go with secure-tunnel.com which is a pptp vpn and is also very fast.if you download alot both these services are great.even though they are american i have found they dont restrict your downloads from torrent sites or any download site in fact.

but if you can afford 35 dollars a month i would suggest xerobank.i have been using the product since july when they introduced the first month for 1 dollar and love it.it is very secure and i love the fact i can install onto my flash drive and use on any computer.i do think steve and his team could offer an american ip for us folks who dont live in the usa and want access to sites like hulu and all those american tv stations and i also think he should offer a 128 bit version for people who want a faster vpn for downloading.who knows maybe in the future he will.

20. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Yes, we'll offer american IPs. No problem there. Should be ready anytime. Now for those who want free, we are giving away a FREE XEROBANK ACCOUNT every month. If you want one, you can participate, no purchase or ID necessary. :D

21. luanme

luanme Registered Member

22. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Re: In seach of an anonymous

There is adware in that service that just never stops. It is also slow and unreliable. If you can afford it, Xerobank is the way to go. If not, maybe you'll be able to afford their new services that Steve said in another thread would be launched soon. I just hate Hotspot Shield. For really basic privacy, if you don't need java/javascript/flash, Megaproxy would be better. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Hotspot Shield?

23. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Re: In seach of an anonymous

What if you wanted absolutely no one to monitor your surfing habits, not the ISp, not the vpn provider, etc what can you use in such situations?

24. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

nothing... just unplug your network cord and rip out your wireless card. you leave a trace no matter what you use, unless your a master hacker and can chain proxies together and then hack into them to delete logs nothing is going to work.

Your best bet is to use TOR, through there are bad exit nodes that log/monitor connections through them. Its about the only solution for the truly paranoid. And then they will still believe they are been logged lol.

25. markoman

markoman Registered Member

The best (legal) way to be anonymous on the Internet that I can think of is use a VPN anonymizer (such as xerobank) and pass through JAP...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.