In need of some basic firewall guides.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CrusherW9, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I'm looking into firewalls now and I am a complete noob when it comes to firewalls, networking, and the like. So I was wondering whether anyone had any good forum posts, threads, articles, etc, to help explain firewalls and their functions. I understand that this seems like a simple Google search away but let me explain a bit more. I have been reading a bunch of things and understand that firewalls control ports, programs, can control what websites a specific program has access to, etc. All of the articles basically say the same thing. What I don't know about is different approaches(white listing programs, controlling ports, etc) to using a firewall to secure your network traffic along with networking protocols. Basically I have a basic-decent understanding of how firewalls work, but how do I know what kind of policies to enforce? Despite what my signature says, I'm running Windows 7 in a vm to test various things and so I was looking into Windows Firewall. After that, when I have some decent knowledge, I figured I would try out various programs to figure out what I like. Any other suggestions as to how to approach firewalls from a noobs standpoint?

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed. The above guide should of be good help

4. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I've read this a few times but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just being too... difficult. Haha. I actually found a few decent links and so I will be reading them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.