In Conjunction with NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Albinoni, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I'm currently using the latest version of NOD32 as my AV software and loving it :D, but should I use a 2nd say free AV in conjunction with NOD32 or dont bother, is it necessary, as I've seen quite a few peole here on this forum do it. What are the advantages of using a 2nd AV in conjunction with your current one and if NOD is such an excellent AV software, than is it really worth it.

Also a 2nd free one would be better, as I'm not prepared to pay for a 2nd AV at the moment.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id say u should try using ewido or another antitrojan with nod32. if u rele want another AV, u can try bitdefender free (ondemand only) or avast (just disable the resident, webshield, and the two email providers).

3. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Yup, Avast is known to be a good free AV. But Ihaven't tested it personnaly, as I use Kaspersky Antivirus Pro as my second scanner (on demand regular scans) and Nod32, which is very less resource consuming, as my resident monitor (and, on demand regular scans, too). As far as I've used it, KAV has just been used for security purposes,as nod32 seemed to detect everything.

But if you don't want to purchase a second AV, Avast seems a good choice to me.

4. Albinoni

Ok, but my question here is why have 2 AV progs when one will do the job. NOD is an excellent prog, so why have another one in it like Avast or whatever? What are the benfits?

Also what do you mean by a Resident Monitor, does this mean being your main antivirus, i.e the primary one?

Also what do you mean by Ondemand. So assume I have NOD32 as my main AV and I download a second free one like Avast or AVG, which one will be my Ondemand one and which one will be my Resident one?

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

The benefit is this, NOD32 is an awesome AV, but there is no such thing as a perfect AV. Having a backup is just a precautionary measure. If one misses it, the other has a chance to catch it.

Resident Monitor means the real-time protection. AKA...what is running that is protecting your machine. You can't have more than 1 AV running at the same time providing protection. They will fight each other.

On Demand, means you can open the program and tell it to scan a file or your whole system. It is not running at all times, but rather, runs when you tell it to.

I hope this answers your questions :)

I use NOD32 as my primary with Bitdefender free as my backup and have no problems with the two.

6. Albinoni

I've used BD Pro and found it to be very good.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Answer to this probably relies on your computer use habits. Someone who surfs risky sites, deals with lots of P2P warez sharing programs...meaning..."high risk" computer use habits...having a couple of AV programs is probably wise. For people who wisely, safely, carefully use computers, doing nothing but reading trusted websites, do very little e-mail, or at least do web based e-mail...having 1x quality AV like NOD32 is fine (that's all I use).

It's up to the individual, your habits, and your paranoia level.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ocassionally use online scanners as an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.