In alphabetical order: chrome, malewarebytes, norton security and sandboxie?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have only been using Firefox for probably a decade or more, with the exception of occasional MS products, e.g. needing to view something in flash. I installed Chrome this AM just to give it a whirl. A couple days ago I noticed the story about a Wisconsin trapper who had a wolf in his trap and released (I assume) it but never checked it out. While using chrome I found the the article and attempted to view the video. Malwarebytes (premium) blocked it. I assumed it was just a false positive and disabled it and tried again and was possibly hit with a ransomware, Your PC is Locked, 800 telephone number and all! I was, however, via task manager, able to stop Chrome. Given that my PC was supposed to be locked makes me think it actually was not the real deal. I then searched to see if in the future I could run Chrome sandboxed but threads stated not to as it has its own sandbox. I then scanned with Mb and Norton Security and both came up empty. I used Disk Cleanup as administrator and CCleaner and rebooted. All continues to be quite normal. So, after that long explanation, do you think that was real? If so how was I able to get to task manager? Lastly, when I did close Chrome it would have been dumped it via its sandbox, correct? Thank you!

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you didn't run anything then you're most likely not infected and it was probably only fake site trying to get some money from unlucky visitors. Clearing cache would be enough.
    You can use Sandboxie for Chrome also. I do it with no problems.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you! I will use Sanboxie then. The thing I've noticed is how fast Chrome is. Now this is in comparison to Ff, however, Ff probably lags a little because the extensions I'm using!

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I find it faster on my system also. In few days FF 57 will be released and I plan to test it to see if it improved in that area.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

norton is anytime known for causing problems with firefox and sandboxie -> uninstall!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.