Improved "Directed" Learning Mode

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Dakhor, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

I think a good idea is to include a learning mode type of feature that you can use even after the first installment.

For instance - It was a mess to get a recent game to work with PG protection. First I needed to allow 5 new files to load - then some of them needed to install global hooks etc. The game must have crashed arround 7 times before I got it to work.

Now my idea - to have learing mode directed at for instance c:\program files\newgame and auto ad any new files from there to protection menu and give them what they need to run propperly and then highlight them so I can check the result in PG.

/DaK/

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why didn't you just turn learning mode on before rebooting.

When I install a new program(obviously I trust it) just before the install reboot, I turn on learning mode. Then I run the program once with learning mode on. Obviously then turn learning mode off. This should pretty much solve your problem.

Pete

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Unless of course there are other things that happen during the reboot that have been intenionally blocked... in which case a "directed" learning mode might be useful to him

Certainly what you are suggesting is possible, this suggestion is looking for a more optimal experience where you don't have to go back and redo other things for the sake of something new

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The only problem is that PG Learning Mode is "reactive" and blocks first before learning. If you like, try manually set up new games by adding the main EXE and then allow Global Hooks and Physical Memory access. This should be enough to let it work first time :)

5. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

Even if it doesn't streamline the learning process, it would be a relief to be able to put some programs in learning mode with the assurance that other changes and additions to your protection list will not slip by unnoticed. Dakhor's suggestion seems quite useful in that regard. My earlier suggestion was to make "local learning mode" a per-application protection option.

6. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

Im not THAT worried about leaving my comp unprotected when I game for instance but I am VERY worried about a learning mode installation of a game to change some settings I have tweaked for system files in the protection list.

I just simply do not want to go through all the weirdo exe files all over again by trial and error.

Ok i would settle for a way to see WHAT settings PG changed after a time in learning mode compared to before it started. Kind of like the new program installed in Program menu in Win XP.

As always just an idea...

/DaK/

7. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

A readable and editable import/export for the Protection List would be very nice. :)

8. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

I'm sure I already asked for that ages ago in the wishlist thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.