Improve your web design - tidy up your HTML & CSS code

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If you're writing HTML, then there are some things you should know - first and foremost international standards & W3C compliance. Then, you also have clean and readable code - but these go hand in hand.

To this end, I've written an article explaining how to use HTML/CSS tidying tools to clean up code and improve W3C compliance.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/html-tidy.html

Enjoy,
    Mrk

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Nice article, Mrk!

I've used a Text Editor for the reasons you list:

Having said that, I think if I had to churn out many pages daily, I would use a WYSIWYG editor to save time!

----
    rich

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Rmus is correct. You can't beat a WYSIWYG editor on a production level and I found that the marriage between Macromedia & Adobe, did produce a worthy program, Dreamweaver CS4, which cleaned up its generated code from older versions.

Having said that, I always run my pages through two W3C Validators: CSS Validation Service & Markup Validation Service and this is how I know Dreamweaver's generated code is good. I wanted to mention them both as added tools to Mrkvonic's excellent article.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I also use the W3C Validator. Mrk mentions a Firefox extension.

Opera puts the W3C Validator on the context menu, which then displays any errors in coding on the page you are working:

validate.gif

----
    rich

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Rmus, not validators per se, I have come to appreciate these 2 Firefox add-ons: Web Developer & Firebug, that provide a wealth of information when looking at how Web sites are wired.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.