Improve your web design - tidy up your HTML & CSS code

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If you're writing HTML, then there are some things you should know - first and foremost international standards & W3C compliance. Then, you also have clean and readable code - but these go hand in hand.

To this end, I've written an article explaining how to use HTML/CSS tidying tools to clean up code and improve W3C compliance.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/html-tidy.html

Enjoy,
    Mrk

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Nice article, Mrk!

I've used a Text Editor for the reasons you list:

Having said that, I think if I had to churn out many pages daily, I would use a WYSIWYG editor to save time!

----
    rich

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rmus is correct. You can't beat a WYSIWYG editor on a production level and I found that the marriage between Macromedia & Adobe, did produce a worthy program, Dreamweaver CS4, which cleaned up its generated code from older versions.

Having said that, I always run my pages through two W3C Validators: CSS Validation Service & Markup Validation Service and this is how I know Dreamweaver's generated code is good. I wanted to mention them both as added tools to Mrkvonic's excellent article.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I also use the W3C Validator. Mrk mentions a Firefox extension.

Opera puts the W3C Validator on the context menu, which then displays any errors in coding on the page you are working:

validate.gif

----
    rich

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rmus, not validators per se, I have come to appreciate these 2 Firefox add-ons: Web Developer & Firebug, that provide a wealth of information when looking at how Web sites are wired.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.