Improve scores on Belarc Security Advisor?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Konata Izumi, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I'm running under LUA/SRP environment but I'm not sure if I configured it right...
    after auditing my PC with Belarc Security Advisor I have a low score of 3.x

I do not intend to get as high score as possible but at least I want to improve my configurations a bit especially in the ff areas (refer to the screenshot) :(
    I know that Belarc already provided information on how to patch/fix those security holes... but if there's anyone knowledgeable here that could give me a bit more humane step-by-step tutorial than Belarc. Please help :)

Pardon me for asking to be spoonfed. ^^

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, your permissions seem to be bad... like, did you convert a former admin user into LUA on some old XP install without doing anything w/ %WINDIR% and registry permissions?

3. Konata Izumi

I created an admin account and use SuRuN to convert it to LUA.
    should I create a Limited User Account then run SuRun from there?

4. doktornotor

You should create a new LUA account and leave the original Admin account alone and not use it except for admin purposes. Other than that, also the default owner of files needs to be changed to Administrators group (not Creator/Owner) on XP. Unless this is a new freshly installed box, you'll need to fix %WinDir%, %ProgramFiles% and registry permissions as well. Run dir /q in there and you'll see what I mean.

5. Konata Izumi

Ok. I'll do image restore to a fresh install backup and will create a LUA account now.

I don't understand this part (quoted below)

6. doktornotor

Well, simply run a command prompt, cd %WinDir% or cd %ProgramFiles% and then run dir /q there.

7. Konata Izumi

Got it.

8. Konata Izumi

I didnt knew setting up LUA/SRP is this hard. :'(

9. doktornotor

It's not. It's just a whole lot easier to get done really properly when you start with a fresh install. It still doesn't matter much whether you fix the permissions if you create a fresh account, instead of demoting the original admin to LUA. (Because if you do that, they'll STILL have write etc. permissions to lots of stuff in those directories because they are owners of some/many of the files there).

10. Konata Izumi

Would running something like Geswall provide the same level of security that LUA/SRP provides?
    I feel like giving up on this whole LUA/SRP thing.

My cousin are about to use the PC. I'll install geswall for now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.