Impossible to mount an image.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWW

CWW Registered Member

I was contacted by Customer Support the following morning at 10:18 AM and they provided a Linux ISO to me.

I made the boot CD from the iso and it booted fine and I was able to the restore the files that were needed the previous day to avoid losing the account I had spend five weeks on; so unfortunate timing. I did write and thank customer support for sending me the stop gap solution for Acronis Workstation 9.1 on Vista.

Maybe this should be in a different thread but will try here first :

When I wrote Customer Support to thank them for the iso I also asked them when the program I bought 5 months ago might be working to mount images, read/write the mounted image etc. that would function with universal restore out of safe mode on vista. These functions in Vista were the primary reason for my having purchased the Acronis Workstation 9.1 with Universal Restore.

No Reply and it is over 23 hours since my e-mail was sent, so hoping to get a response here from someone with Acronis on when there will be update for Vista that enables the Acronis Workstation 9.1 product to support Vista as represented at the time of my purchase on September 24th, 2007. If not hopefully someone is working on a driver so someone else is not blindsided at an inconvenient time like I personally expereienced here.

Thanks

2. Charel4u

Charel4u Registered Member

Hope they will too. I have just installed TIhome11 on my new PC as I want to get an image of it when all programs has been installed.

Tried to make a test backup to an internal SATA drive. All went well and when trying to verify it, the test passed.

When trying to MOUNT it, it failed.

I then copied it to an external USB-drive and connected it to my laptop also running TI. It mounted straight away.

Really had no problems on my old desktop, the big difference now, apart from a newer CPU and more memory, is the type of disks. In the old, I had 1 IDE and 1 SATA. On the new one, I have 3 SATA drives.

It also took a very long time to install the program, about 45 minutes. Noticed something similar last fall when I upgraded to version 11. When a USB memory stick was attached to the PC, it seemed impossible to mount a backup as a drive.

3. Charel4u

I also sent the question to support and after a while received the following reply:

We are really sorry but it's a known issue with Zone Alarm software.

This issue has been forwarded to our Development Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

4. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    Thank you for the follow-up.
    My problem is that I don't have Zone Alarm and I can't mount an image in the read/write mode.

5. Charel4u

One strange thing in my case, is that I can install the program (takes 45-50 minutes) on my laptop, make the image, verify it, but cannot mount it. If I take the image to my laptop, I can mount it without any problem. Can do the same if I share the folder on my desktop so that it's accessible from my laptop. On both PCs, I can explore the folders and files on the images, and "use" them.

There are no real difference on the PCs, both has latest update of Windows XP pro, both have Zone Alarm. The real difference is type of disks: SATA on my desktop, that is not the case of my laptop,

Will just have to give them time and see what they come up with.

Arne

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is TIMounter service running, in Services?

Colin

7. Charel4u

I can only check my laptop now, will not be home for about 10 days. The laptop does not have anything called TIMounter in services. Note that the laptop is OK for TI.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Without Timounter service installed or running - you will not be able to mount an image.

If it isn't installed, then something is wacky - and you will need to re-install TI.

Colin

9. Charel4u

Have been using it for 2 years now on 2 different PCs, no problem whatsoever, apart from on my new desktop. Just tested on my laptop, everything is OK.

Could the service be called something else?

Arne

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Check in task manager and see it is running there. it will be called TimounterMonitor.exe

My error, could have sworn it appeared in services as well.

Colin

11. Charel4u

That's were it is. Got 2:TrueImageMonitor.exe and TrueImageTryStartService.exe.

Will look at my desktop when I et home Thursday next week.

Arne

12. cocteau48

cocteau48 Registered Member

Ok so I have got Timounter running in the Task manager and I CAN mount an image .... but still only in "read only" mode.
    Trying to mount an image in "read/write" gets a "cannot assign a drive letter to a partition" pop-up.

13. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

This is how you can release a DiskID signature and drive letter that has been previously used and reserved by XP. Caution, backup your registry first, and second do NOT use this for your XP system drive letter, normally c:. It is based upon this article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188

Start/Run/regedit
    Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find the drive letter or letters you want to delete. Look for "\DosDevices\D:"

Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Delete.

This frees up drive letter D.

Repeat the above steps for other drive letters you want to free up that are NOT in use.
    Close regedit
    Restart you pc.

How does Windows XP remember drive letters?
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

After removing excess drive letters and rebooting, see if you can mount the image.

14. cocteau48

cocteau48 Registered Member

The fact that it will assign a drive letter in read mode but not read/write mode leads me to think that it is not the freeing up of a drive letter which is the problem.

15. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

I just thought if you wanted to free up some extra drive letters so there are spares available, it might be worth a try.

16. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have never got the read write mode to work on my system either. Others have - but as i don't use the read/write mount method - seems to me to have some inherent dangers rather than just making a new image, I've never vigorously persued the problem.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.