Importance of Computer Name?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mucsavage, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mucsavage

mucsavage Registered Member

Hi,

I have been performing full network backups of machines in the office.

Last week one machine suffered a hard drive failure of some sort and would not boot.

A new replacement HD has been got and installed and I plan on reinstalling all software and then restoring personal folders from the latest full backup.

Two questions:

1 The hardware is identical except for the HD, will this be an issue?

2 Also, the machine is part of a domain and where it had the name mechanical1. Since it has a brand new HD it must be re-added to the domain. I cant call it mechanincal1 again as it already exists in the Active Directory. I can either call it another computer name or delete the name mechanical1 from AD and then assign it to the machine again.

Would having a different name (say mechanical2) cause restoring issues? Would deleting the mechanical1 name from AD do anything to the Backup Server and would it recognise the the machine as still being mechanical1?

Nothing is ever easy o_O

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The new HD will not be an issue, in fact that is one of the main uses of True Image - to restore an Image to a new hard drive when the old one crashes.
    I don't do networks so can't answer #2 for certain but I would guess that giving it a new name will be okay as long as during the restore process you can select the new drive as the target for the restore. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

3. mucsavage

mucsavage Registered Member

thank you for your time, will give renaming it a go

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mucsavage and DwnNdrty,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

The Backup Server will recognize mechanical2 as a new computer, also you will not be able to apply the old tasks, you should create new tasks.

DwnNdrty is correct, the new hard drive will not be an issue for the recoevry.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.