IMON Disabled - Email Safe ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by khendar, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khendar

khendar Registered Member

GDay.

I've been perusing the forums for a while and this is my first post.

I've been looking into IMON for a client to install on their Small Business Server 2003 application/file/email server and was curious as to one thing. All the threads on here about servers say that IMON must be DISABLED to ensure system stability. As I understand it, IMON monitors incoming (only?) emails on the POP3 protocol. If I was to disable IMON, doesn't this mean that incoming POP3 emails are no longer being scanned ? Isn't this putting my server and workstations at risk of infection ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I tried searching but I couldn't find anything resembling this question.

Cheers

[edit: I apologise for the gratuitous use of question marks in the title of this post. I got a bit excited there =D]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Re: IMON Disabled - Email Safe o_O?

are you running a pop3 client such as eudora on your win2k3 server?

3. khendar

Re: IMON Disabled - Email Safe o_O?

Not running any 3rd party email clients on the server. I think Outlook Express is on there but its not being used.

4. MarkJamesNodUK

MarkJamesNodUK Registered Member

Running Imon on that server serves no purpose, If its a mail server running exchange for SMTP Mail, you should be running XMon ( Nod for Exchange ), Amon will protect the server for virus infections.
    As to your Question, All your clients should be running Nod on their PC's therefore they are covered againts Virus, if you are indeed using Exchange to retrieve POP3 mail from a server then running IMON on the Workstations will again protect them.

Mark
    Nod32UK Support

5. khendar

Actually the workstations are running Norton. My client just bought licences for all their workstations so they are not likely to want to make the change over to Nod on their clients at this stage.

Is running Nod32 on the server and NAV on the workstations going to cause a problem ?

6. Atangel

Atangel Registered Member

I don't see why it should, but NOD will make sure that the server doesn't get infected by something, and NAV will protect the workstations and their mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.