Imon crashes win2003 server

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mainza, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainza

Mainza Registered Member

Did anybody else had a problem with IMON crashing a Win2003 server?On previous version of nod i had that problem with Win2000 and 2003 but now it only happens with 2003.

2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

IMON should be turned off on servers..

3. Mainza

Mainza Registered Member

Yes it is turned off but i thought that it was some kind of bug and that it was going to be fixed in version2 but alas poor yorik it seems that's not going to happen(i just hate the red nod icon in a system tray) ;)

4. zashita

zashita Registered Member

IMON icon must be grey, not red

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Don't run IMON on rigs with IIS (namely servers)
    The install should have detected a server OS and prompted to not enable it when running the install.

6. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

You know, I STILL haven't figured out why IMON shouldn't be run on a server. Here's why - I'm setting up (Win2K) servers to distribute OS updates via WSUS, and they require IIS (and MSDE) on them to operate properly, since they're web-based/HTTP update servers. The absolute LAST thing that I want to happen is to have my patch management machines infiltrated at all, so I've left IMON turned on and have (knock wood) had no problems so far. Is there any overriding reason for me to go back and turn IMON off on these machines? They won't be used for browsing the web or anything, but I will have potentially 'iffy' machines connecting to them to get their updates and patches as needed. BTW, they're also NOD update servers for my network - replacing NT4/SQL 7 servers that are also running IMON...

Jack

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I don't consider it an issue, since IMONs main job is checking POP3, and browser downloads. SUS/WSUS servers will be uploading to other machines, not downloading from them. The only thing they'll be downloading from is trusted sites such as Windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

I believe this is only on the port level...if something got a little bit closer, AMON would bag it anyways. I believe (but don't know for sure) that the conflict of IMON on servers lies with it interfering with IIS. Similar to AMON being bad to have sniffing Microsoft Exchange server directories on servers running Exchange mail server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.