IMON and SBS 2003

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by deanp, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanp

deanp Registered Member

I don't know if this is new or not but I just discovered a problem when trying to use the Offer Remote Assistance feature on Small Business Server 2003. If on XP Pro Automatic Updates is turned on and Imon is enabled when you try to use Offer Remote Assistance the RPC service crashes on the XP Pro machine and the system goes down for reboot. It doesn't happen on all machines. So far it is only happening on a Dell Dimension E520.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I use the feature often...haven't run into any compatiblity issues.

3. deanp

deanp Registered Member

I know. It just happened with this new Dell machine. Doesn't make any sense. Unless there is a conflict with a driver for this machine.

4. YeOldeStonecat

Using ISA, or single homed?

Assuming XP Pro, so that group policy from SBS configured the firewall properly? Not XP Homeless?

3rd party software firewalls?

3rd party IE toolbars? The only...ONLY..toolbar I ever allow on clients machines is the Google Toolbar..all others must be uninstalled, fully removed....including any junk BHO's them gunked into the system.

5. deanp

deanp Registered Member

ISA 2004 dual nics but what would that have to do with it ?

XP Pro

No tools bars

Fresh install from retail media

All Updates applied

6. YeOldeStonecat

Proxy server....inside <==> outside help such as remote assistance passes through it, TSWeb based.

7. deanp

deanp Registered Member

It happens when I do it from the LAN inside the company as well.

It's happening on a brand new HP laptop also so it's only affecting new machines that have come out within the last 6 months.

8. deanp

deanp Registered Member

Eset said to turn off IMON

The next version of NOD32 will not include IMON. It's being totally eliminated from the program for this very reason.

In 1992, when NOD32 was introduced, very few programs operated at the winsock level. Today, in addition to Google and Microsoft, 100's of other developers are creating software in this manner. That would be fine, except for the fact that any app that operates here, needs the top spot in the stack, and only one program can have it.

9. YeOldeStonecat

Ahh...when you said IMON turned on..I just assumed that you meant on the workstation.

Yes IMON should be disabled when installed on a server OS, especially SBS. I actually disable EMON and DMON also on servers. Matter of fact..during the install..you'll see that it detects it's being installed on a server OS..and will automatically disable itself (IMON). Shouldn't force it back on.

IMON by name is going away..protection in that area is still staying..just in another fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.