IMON and PestPatrol updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by kjempen, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I get this weird error message when I have IMON enabled and I try to update PestPatrol:

"....
    jul 29 2004 15:39:02 Contacting download site ...(http://download.pestpatrol.com/downloads/components/)
    jul 29 2004 15:39:05 Checking versions...
    jul 29 2004 15:39:05 Giving up - line corrupt - Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
    jul 29 2004 15:39:05 Restarting CookiePatrol.exe
    jul 29 2004 15:39:05 Restarting PPMemCheck.exe
    jul 29 2004 15:39:06 Restarting PPControl.exe
    jul 29 2004 15:39:08 There were errors"

This does not happen when I disable IMON (or HTTP checking rather)... Is there some other way to avoid this other than disabling HTTP checking?

It is only a minor nuisance...

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try lowering the size of the download shown in this screenshot. I lowered mine from the default of 2048 kb. I was having some problems with downloads. I couldn't terminate the download without restarting.

I haven't downloaded anything yet to give this a test. Just a suggestion to try.

This is in reference to the automatic passive mode.

Attached Files:

3. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

I notice i got the same problems as Kjempen... and i tryid your tips and it still dosent work...

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I haven't tried yet. If disabling http scanning allows you to update, that would be the way to go for now.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Guys, doesn't the problem go away after changing the HTTP compatibility level in IMON setup?

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Marcos, No it doesnt, you have to exlcude the update from scanning.

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Same problem here..I can´t update PestPatrol.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

8. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

If you add the Pest Patrol update program, to the exclude list, as already mentioned. You won't have any problems updating Pest Patrol

9. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I got your point.But I hope they fix it soon, because I don't think it's a good idea to put every program that doesn't work properly in the exclude list.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

10. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

HTTP scanning is a difficult proposition at best, the problem lies in the fact that in order to accurrately scan the file you need to scan the entire file, which causes a delay for the program that requested the file and can cause the program to lock up ( or at least appear that way until NOD passes the file to the program). Pest Patrol checks for a check sum string to verify the update and that it is legitimate, the delay caused by NOD doing an http scan causes PP to think there is a problem and that the file is not legitimate and it aborts the download. Putting PP in the exlcude list ( or any other program or file for that matter) doesn't cause a problem because AMON will pick up anything malicious once the file is executed. Remember with the beta AMON is running AH also, so for dial up users with slow connections I would say turning off http scanning all together isn't that big of a deal.

11. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but I found one other updater which might be a good idea to add to IMON's exclusion list: the TDS 3 updater (update.exe). If you let IMON check the Radius download, TDS 3's updater can't check if you already have the Radius version it attempts to download. In other words, it downloads the Radius file regardless whether you already have an up-to-date version on your hard disk. If you add update.exe (in the TDS 3 directory) to IMON's exclusion list, the problem is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.