Immunet Protect- Free cloud based AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by norky, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norky

norky Registered Member

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

here the inventor use to be with Symantec, 32 bit only.

3. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I just tested it, and although it has been released for one day, it has a long way to go :p

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

5. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I just tested it against many rogues, worms etc. It detected none of them so we shall wait and see.

6. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Keep in mind that reliable cloud protection depends on the reports of a large user base. How effective can cloud protection be when the product was released just yesterday, presumably with practically no user base. At least Panda had a huge user base right away when it initiated cloud protection.

I don't understand the purpose of communities, except as a marketing tool. Verizon Wireless does something similar with its Friends and Family program. Shouldn't protection be made available to every Immunet user and not just to those who happen to be friends or family (and, apparently, to those in the community to which your friends and family happen to belong)?

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

From what I can see, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to submit missed detections/false positives. However, it is still beta after all so perhaps this will change as time goes on.

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Just reading this I consider it incomplete - not because it's new and doesn't detect, but in terms of features, and the developer is more lacking behind than being new with his release.

The features I'm talking about are - for example compared to Prevx and/or Symantec (yes, even though he was a part of the company previously - I just find that ironical for some reason... :rolleyes:) - things like asking on unknown files, strong heuristics/behavioral protection, etc. Referring to your findings, it definitely seems to be missing this.

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

From what I read here it appears that they've gone about this project the wrong way.A community cloud-based AV is fine if,like Prevx or Panda there is a huge community.However it seems to me that starting from a tiny user base like this product,a strong behavioural or heuristics should have been implemented to compensate for lack of numbers initially.It appears that it relies upon signatures for the most part at present,which is insufficient.Perhaps they'd have been better going down the Hitman Pro route and rented a third party cloud.:doubt:

10. pbust

pbust AV Expert

If you slap a sniffer on a machine being scanned by this product, you see what seems like hash-based DNS queries (1-to-1 sigs?).

Anybody else has any information on how they are detecting over the cloud using the "community" aspect?

11. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Well, when I see the screenshot I wonder how a brand new antivirus with only 64 persons connected to the cloud can have over 3 200 000 threads on his database o_O

12. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I read there website and I was wondering : Does Immunet Protect works kind of like Drivesentry does or more like Panda Cloud does? From what I read it seems to works similar at some point like Drivesentryo_O

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

More background on Immunet...

14. raven211

My first reaction after reading the whole thing was: what a load of bull that was spit out about Prevx. :gack: :cautious:

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Raven211, I agree -- and I disapprove of all such distasteful tactics.

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what exactly was said (in summary) i dont really feel like reading through everything :D

17. andyman35

Very poor show from them disparaging a rival product,a product that just happens to be far superior too.:ouch:

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

19. firzen771

ye i got that part... but any info a little more specific?

20. raven211

"Prevx applied the collaborative concept to the host intrusion prevention system years ago, but the technology did not revolutionize the market, notes Mike Rothman, principal analyst at Security Incite, a security consulting firm.

"Prevx took a similar approach in developing a community oriented network to define malware, but it didn't work very well," Rothman observes. "That could have been for a lot of reasons, and clearly the guys behind Immunet are smart, so maybe they can get this community approach to work." "

21. firzen771

ah thanks and wow that doesnt sound true at all...

22. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

:rolleyes: We apparently aren't innovative enough to have gathered a whopping ~1000 users relying on hashes for detection :rolleyes: We aren't too worried about criticism from "Mike Rothman" at Security Incite - "their" company/website (http://securityincite.com/) doesn't exactly reek of credibility (and he even admits no longer being independent or an analyst from Security Incite in his highly professional blog post titled "Holy Crap! I took a job...").

It may be worth looking at the positive press we've received from Gartner/Yankee Group/other internationally-recognized organizations.

Also a note to anyone testing this - one of our employees installed it and it dragged the system down to terrible levels, even after uninstallation which left their processes loaded with self protection so completely removing it required booting from a rescue CD to disable their drivers :doubt:

23. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I thought that only happened to me :cautious:

24. raven211

I have been warned. :D

25. andyman35

Might I suggest you make it compulsory for all employees to have a copy of Revo Uninstaller to hand in future.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.