ImgBurn, Nero, Roxio, Vista Built in Usage?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sunrise, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

Hi,

Recently, in wilders, there's a poll on favorite software burner. It was from there i know about ImgBurn. Went to the site, installed, looks neat :). Small in size too.

Before, i have always use Nero 7. Now, upcoming is Nero 8 and Roxio 10. I start to think if i really do need Nero/Roxio - such bloated/big programs.

My needs basically are:
    1. Burn image
    2. Create DVD video disc
    3. Create VCD Video disc (rare now)
    4. Burn data (video file, pictures, misc..etc)
    5. Create Image

As i am using Vista Home Premium, the movie maker can do point 2.
    Imgburn can do point 1,4 and 5 but not 2. (I read from imgburn site that can burn data to DVD by dragging the VIDEO_TS or iso image etc. But i prefer whereby i have a AVI file or WMV file, and i just want easy interface of 'Create DVD' and select my video file and that's it. Like Nero Express. Dont think Imgburn can do that)

Only left 3. I thought gone are the days of VCD till my sister recently request for video to be in VCD.....sigh.

Seems using Nero or Roxio just for VCD is soft of too much.

Also, Nero have InCD (though Roxio 10 and Nero 8 is dropping). Is InCD/packet writing necessary? I just found out Vista has built in packet writing already. (Where?)

Any thoughts?

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Nero 6 was that last version of Nero that wasn't that bloated, yeah but I don't think it was Vista Ready. It did everything you asked though. Don't know why you would ever consider Nero 8 or Roxio 10 for that matter, they are both getting bloated as ****. You don't really need packet writing, to me its just a way to save time from erasing a re-writeable though the writing quality wasn't that reliable. As far as the one click convert and burn to dvd like Nero Express, don't think there is any free software out that does that though, I might be wrong.

dja2k

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Nero has InCD, Roxio has DirectCD for packet writing. It requires a long lasting special format of CD.
    Both allow you to do the same things, like you did with diskettes in drive A:, copy/paste files, edit files directly, etc. ...
    In the beginning, I used it because I suddenly had diskettes of 650 MB, but it isn't really safe and lost some data files this way.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

For converting Avis, mpegs, etc. in DVD I use ConvertXtoDVD of VSO software. It costs 39 euro, but you can buy it for only 4 euro from this site http://www.serialdealers.com/

They offer also IsoBuster Pro, Alcohol 120%, CopytoDVD and some other software in extremly low prices.

ps. I have already bought the above and can confirm that this site is legitimate.:thumb:

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Does imgburn, do multisession?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Nope it does not have multisession.

Also if you are just concerned with Nero's size, try Nero 7 Lite/Micro. Simply put, its a Nero installer than has been put on a diet.

7. sunrise

Yup, it it includes multisession, which many people are asking for it in imgburn forums, it will be a fantastic (its already very good i must say) software, free furthermore.

But now it set me thinking if i do need multi session. Though i use portable HD for on the go mostly, DVD/CD will be for image ISO burning, movies/data backup to keep and store away.

How do you use multisession if you use, and how do you find such needs? is it necessary right now where one can get big portable hd cheaply

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For Ashampoo Burning Studio I know you can update an existing CD with new files (thats multisession iirc). My dad uses it to periodically add new pictures to a cd.

9. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Not yet, but it's been mentioned that the next release will support multi-session. It may be released within a week.

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser and Defenestration I use multisession a lot when backing up to DVD's. I back up to external drive also when it comes to my music and pictures I like to make sure I am well protected. I downloaded Imgburn after hearing so many good reviews and couldn't see multisession, now I know why. I will wait for Imgburn to add it before using it. Right now I use Nero and Ashampoo. I am happy with both, I have to use Nero quite a bit when I am burning a bunch of my family videos together with multi-menus it is slow but, does the job. Once I have one full DVD I made I make more copies with "clonedvd" which is much faster then Nero.

11. sunrise

Fantastic! imgburn has been good. if multi session is out, then out goes my nero and others. :D

12. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Apologies, it actually looks like the next release won't support multi-session, but will support burning audio CD's with bin/cue files. However, audio CD support required a large re-write of IB to support multi-session, so although it probably won't make it into the next version of IB, it will probably appear in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.