Imaging to a larger HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JoeFly, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeFly

JoeFly Registered Member

I am trying to move my boot drive image to a larger drive with no success - when I boot to a new 40 GB drive, the image restores the 20 GB drive OK but only half the drive shows up - the other 20 GB is not seen by Windows XP.

Disk clone does not work for me, so I imaged the 20 GB drive, saving to a USB drive, then restored this image this to another USB drive that is 40 GB.

Is imaging to a larger drive that will be the primary active drive possible??

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Yes, thats the best way to do it. Whenever you do an image backup of a system partition that will automatically be bootable on the new hard drive. Also when you restore an image, it will allow you to expand the image to take up all the available space on the new partition.

When you clone , you copy the MBR of the old hard drive to the new hard drive (that's why it is showing the size of the old hard drive).

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

This is a common problem .... here's one solution:
    ================================
    If you have already cloned/restored your drive and just want to regain the missing (unallocated) space proceed as follows:
    1. Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, if you have not already done so.
    2. Boot with it and from its main menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone.
    3. Create an SZ of any size less than the missing unallocated space. Do not accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. OK back to the main menu.
    5. Go right back into the Manage ASZ.
    6. Choose to Delete the SZ.
    7. When asked what to do with the space, accept the default to append it to the existing partition.
    8. Back out to the Main Menu, Exit the process, quickly remove the CD and reboot the system (if it doesn't self reboot).
    ====================================

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

It sounds like you may have done a disk restore rather than a partition restore of each of your partitions. Using a partition restore, you can resize them.

Check the methods mentioned in post #20 below or the pdf mentioned in post #32
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196961#20

5. JoeFly

JoeFly Registered Member

Many thanks!

6. JoeFly

JoeFly Registered Member

Quick question: Using Partition Restore, do I assign a logical drive letter or not??

I want this as the primary, active C drive.

7. GroverH

Something may not be going correctly. Look at the link below and check out the pdf listed in the link. Note image GH-05. This is what you should be seeing. The program should be showing you the same info as shown in GH-05. Can you change the option to active and C drive.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196961&page=2#32

What kind of partition sizes exist on the drive being changed and what kind of partiton arrangement do you have on the master?

Are you using a Full Disk backup which includes all partitions--both hidden and diagnostic?

8. JoeFly

JoeFly Registered Member

I read that earlier - I am using Acronis 8 and that may be the issue.

I am imaging the whole drive (Full Disk backup) which has only one partition - C. the source drive is 20G and the destination 40G. I do not have the option to name it as the C drive when assigning a logical drive letter.

9. GroverH

Yes, the instructions for Vers 8 does differ. Moderator Menorcaman has posted this info. I'll do some searching but it won't be until several hours from now.

10. GroverH

11. JoeFly

JoeFly Registered Member

Thanks again - another option I found is to use Windows Disk Manager and format the free space as another partition - works OK as long as the original C drive has plenty of space for the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.