Imaging Questions (Paragon and Macrium)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Dregg Heda, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Does Macrium reflect free backup the mbr when creating an image? When I try to make an image in macrium, it only shows disk with 4 different partitions, none of which is the MBR. When I use Paragon, it also shows those 4 partitions plus something called the first harddisk track which contains the MBR. Unfortunately Paragon has both first harddisk track and MBR listed at 0 bytes. Whats going on?
    Does Paragon back-up the MBR? Why doesnt Macrium have the MBR listed in the imaging wizard? Why is the MBR at 0 bytes in Paragon? Anyone have any ideas?

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I don't have knowledge about Macrium but Paragon gives you an option to backup your "first track" which includes MBR, separately if you desire. If you choose to backup your root partition (boot partition), the first track and mbr are backed up automatically by Paragon.

They show up as zero byte for me too but the backup contains your entire first track including your mbr

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Using Paragon HDM 2009 Suite here. I've used other HD backup/restore/manage products, but not Macrium.

This Paragon product also identifies the MBR backup as 0 bytes. I have no idea why. I have restored partitions successfully, but I've never specifically tested the MBR Restore function.

This product also has an automatic MBR-rebuild feature.

I did experience an MBR problem a few days ago - seemed to be caused by successive Avira product update and Windows update. On reboot, Paragon prompted that MBR information seemed incorrect and offered to automatically bebuild the MBR based on examination of existing partitions. It did so perfectly.

I have no idea why Paragon didn't simply check for existing MBR backup file and offer to restore the existing MBR backup. I did have an MBR backup file in the Backup Capsule.

Hope this helps!

4. Dregg Heda

Alright, thanks for that Raza and Gud4u! Unless someone with experience with Macrium responds, I am going to assume Reflect free does not backup the mbr since it doesnt even bother to list among the partitions, unlike paragon.

5. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

6. Raza0007

Dregg Heda, macrium should backup mbr, without mbr when you restore you will not be able to boot into the drive or retain any partition info. It is just that paragon lists it as a separate option. If you backup the hard drive with paragon without selecting the first track option it would still backup the first track and mbr.

The separate option is there for someone who just wants to backup the first track and mbr and not the entire drive or partition.

Macrium probably does not have the separate option for backing mbr, but it should back it up with the partition or drive backup.

7. Raza0007

Aah...you beat me by a minute and made my post above look dumb ;)

8. prius04

No, no, no! Great minds post at the same time!!! :D :D :D

9. Dregg Heda

Hi Prius, your link is to the features page of the paid version. Im using the free. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything similar for the free version. However based on what Razaa has told me I am going to assume that Macrium free backs up the MBR as well. Thanks!

10. Dregg Heda

I see! Thanks for explaining this to me Razaa!

11. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Here is something I noticed, no where on their site does it mention that you get a bootable recovery disc, or at least the ability to create one, with your purchase. I know you do, see here, but it should be mentioned.

Also, how does this compare to ShadowProtect in terms of the ability to restore to different hardware?

12. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Macrium Reflect Free has a CD rescue recorder that allows a person to make a Linux based recovery disk. Note: the CD only works IF you have Macrium Reflect installed on your hard disk. Unlike Paragon or Acronis, you cannot do a bare metal restore (restore an image on a new unused hard drive). I do not know about purchased Macrium Reflect or Shadow Protect.

SourMilk out

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  13. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Ok, thanks for that. And just for clarity's sake, Paragon can only restore to different hardware in the professional version and only if Vista is installed. Vista is specifically mentioned whereas XP is not.

14. Dregg Heda

So if I nuke my drive with DBAN i wont be able to restore an image even with the rescue CD?

15. SourMilk

No restore with Macrium Reflect :p . You will be able to restore using a rescue disk with Paragon, Acronis, and other imaging programs that allow "bare metal recovery" if you have an image on an external drive or an internal drive not affected by the "nuking" or CD/DVD copy (too many of those plastic disks for me - ugh)

SourMilk out

16. prius04

Well, that runs counter to dozens of posts on the MR support forum. Where did you get the idea that MR can't restore to something like a new, replacement HDD (or an old HDD that is unpartitioned)?

17. SourMilk

From your post #15 of April 7 on the thread " Free alternative to Acronis True Image? "

SourMilk out

18. prius04

Okay, but I wrote, "...Cold imaging is a feature Macrium is planning to add in the future."

Cold imaging involves making an image from outside of the OS (i.e., imaging after booting from a boot disk/CD). ShadowProtect, for example, can do that but Macrium cannot at this point.

Regardless, MR, like ShadowProtect, should have no problem restoring to a different HDD.

19. SourMilk

I guess I misunderstood the question. I supposed that nuking the hard drive meant there was no OS on it. If it were a secondary drive other than the primary drive that was nuked, yes, Macrium Reflect would be able to restore the secondary with a image contained on the primary drive housing the OS. However, if we are talking about a single drive being wiped without a system drive with an OS, then you would need "cold" imaging that Macrium Reflect does not currently support.

SourMilk out

20. prius04

Correct --> Macrium does not support cold imaging, but that basically only means images cannot be created unless Windows is running.

Incorrect --> Macrium needs cold imaging to restore a drive. Even if the drive has absolutely nothing on it (i.e., it's brand new), MR can restore an image.

Web site:
    ...A hard disk upgrade can easily be performed by increasing the partition to fill the new disk.

Support Forum:
    ...One of my laptops had a HD failure. I have been making regular back ups with Macrium Reflect....Well a few days ago the HD went and I ordered a new one which arrived yesterday and I installed it and booted from the Linux Rescue CD no problems. My back up was on a an external USB HD. Everything went off with out an issue. Machine booted up when the restore was done and everything was as it had been before the HD failure and it was stupid easy to do...

Q: If I create an image of the C drive (partition) can I restore to a new harddrive of a smaller (or larger) size and also does it matter if the new drive is just one single drive rather than partitioned.

A: The new disk you want to restore to must be at least the same size or larger than the partition you are trying to restore. The new disk you want to restore to can be a new un partitioned and unformatted....

Steve - Macrium Support

Q: Can I perform a `bare metal recovery' i.e. Image of computer A is restored to Computer B where computer B is a different manufacturer, CPU and harddrive size to Computer A...

A: This is a complicated area depending whether RAID disks are involved and whether you have all the Computer B drivers. Windows Vista deals with this better than XP.

Steve - Macrium Support

21. SourMilk

Okay. I was under the impression the Macrium Reflect had to be installed in Windows in order for the recovery to work. According to what I've just read I was mistaken. I never use imaging that requires a driver to run in Windows. I only use a Linux disk outside of Windows for my imaging. The fewer drivers Windows uses the fewer incompatibilities one will have as not all drivers play nice with each other. I guess it doesn't really matter to me if Macrium Reflect will work with or without being installed in Windows. Hopefully the OP doesn't get confused with all the answers to his question.

SourMilk out

22. Dregg Heda

Thanks for clearing this up for us Prius!

SourMilk, I think you have misunderstood. Macrium can restore an image from the rescue CD even if the harddrive was nuked and didnt have anything on it including the Macrium program. This is called "Bare Metal Recovery".

However, Shadow Protect can create an image from its bootdisk without booting into the OS even if the program isnt installed. This is called "Cold Imaging" and Macrium Reflect cant do this.

Edit: SourMilk, yea I think you have it now.

23. Raza0007

I know its a belated addition to the discussion but I had this comment in the back of my mind about Paragon only being able to restore to a different hardware if Vista is installed. Well, if you own Paragon hard disk manager 2009 (suite or pro), Paragon gives you a free add-on for doing adaptive restore from any windows OS since win2000 to different hardware and even virtual environments. See here http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal-adaptive-restore/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.