Imaging Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by RSpanky, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

In my first post I asking about a Imaging app. And Kees1958 replied to make sure you put your program files on your C drive and your Data on your D drive. I bought Paragon Drive Backup 9 and I am using syncback for my Data. So my question is how do I divide the two Drives?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I'll leave the answer to someone else, but just point, but that spliting the data that way is an option that some prefer but isn't what I would consider essential. I have everything one on drive with only one partition(other than huge stuff that isn't used) and I've never had any issues or loss.

It's really just a personal preference.

Pete

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

As Peter says it is a personal preference. As a 2 drive or partition man however I can think of no good reason to just use one drive. using C: and D: allows C: to be very small and small means faster imaging and restoring. Having C: and D: means you can restore C: very quickly without any change to D:

To divide your drive you will as far as I am aware need a partitioning program unless you partition at the time you install your Operating system. The one I use can be found at
    http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

If there are any advantages to just having C: I'm sure that someone will mention them - It's just that I can't think of any.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

EASEUS Partition Master is freeware and can create partitions, http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Drive Backup can perform some partition operations, as long as there is unallocated space in the disk.

5. demonon

demonon Guest

I splitted my data for various reasons.
    1. I like to carry all data with me on one TB drive
    2. I have a large download folder
    3. It's faster Imaging
    4. It's way easier to recover
    5. If disaster strikes I sometimes am not able to retrieve my files after the last time I imaged my HD

I think the best free partition tool is EASEUS Partition Master, but be sure to check this out: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-partition-manager.htm

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

As a 1 drive or partition man I can think of no good reason not to use just one drive. I do keep big clunky files off the disk(ie installers) but all my business data is on the c: drive. My c: drives are typically only 5% full and image fast. The operating business machine, I use Shadow Protects continous Incrementals so I have an image from every 30 minutes. I also use Outback Plus 6 so anytime there is some significant action between the SP CI's a click of a button and all the data is backed up.

All email is done thru Sandboxie, so little risk that way.

At day's end I sync the data off to an external drive and update a FDISR archive.

So I don't see the need to split anything up.

Pete

7. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I keep the system and programs on one partition; personal files on another.
    I also backup my personal files to other drives.

The systems and programs change at a different rate than personal files. But also, if my system goes down it is a major PIA. Most of my personal files are really disposable.

Anyway, keeping them on different partitions (or drives) allows me to image the partitions separately, so I can set them on different schedules and each image is smaller and faster.

I "image" the system partition frequently. But for my personal stuff I use NTI shadow to merely "back up" to another drive. Every time I make any change to any file, Shadow immediuately copies it to another drive, and also stores a selectable number of previous versions.

I use Paragon Drive Backup Personal for images. It has been 100% reliable thus far. So has Shadow.

8. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

We use very much the same plan. Having all the data on another partition just makes sense to me. My system partition is extremely small, clean with ZERO personal information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.