imaging linux software raid possible?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by glenndm, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenndm

glenndm Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a home server running debian etch.
    the file and boot system is completely on software raid mirrors (2 sata drives)

I like to use acronis a quick way to get to previous working setups.

1) Is acronis for linux the product to get?

2) I read in the echo server faq, acronis is only be able to restore on a working mirrored system.
    Is there a way around this? I tend to break working systems.
    Recreating a working mirror system takes time I'd rather spend somehow else (presumably breaking it further :) )

best regards
    glenn

2. AaronAnderson

AaronAnderson Registered Member

Search for the posts I've made. I have a howto for Ubuntu 7.10 that applies to Debian Etch and will get you running pretty quickly.

It will only restore a whole image to a similar piece of hardware. You will be able to pull files and things out of your backups without first having to build an identical system.

So if you're working along and destroy your boxes configs or something, you can just do a full restore from your previous backup, no problem, as long as the hardare is the same. Universal Restore isn't available for Linux.

3. glenndm

thanks for your reply, i'll get on it right of way.
    As I will always put the image back on the same machine, I expect no problems relative to hardware.

regards
    glenn

4. lom

lom Registered Member

hallo aaron,

i searched the forums for the solution mentioned above... am i right and your ubuntu solution is not for Software-RAID use? Or didn't I find the correct posting?

i have the problem, that i can't restore a test backup of a SW-RAID 1 with the Acronis Rescue-CD because the Rescue-CD-Tool recognizes the wrong size of the SW-RAID-Devices (half the size for RAID1)...

best regards
    Lars

5. glenndm

Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for your help.
    I finally have a Acronis bootdisk for debian that kind of works. (I don't use the online server, only mediabuilder)
    It recognizes the software raid volumes and can backup and restore them (if a base setup is present).
    The disk does not however see the network card. so I can only create images on a usb external disk. But there's a problem if the partition is large than 100+Gb (exact limit unknown)

But it's enough to get started. I'll try to solve the network later (it has taken me already too long to get to this point)

regards
    glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.