Imaging Dell Inspiron Notebook w/ Hidden Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rbauer, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbauer

rbauer Registered Member

Dear Acronis Support,

I'm buying Acronis True Image 8.0 so that I can create a DVD +R backup of my new Dell Inspiron 600m Laptop computer but I have a few questions:

Question 1) What is the exact procedure to image the entire hard drive including the hidden utility partition and the Symantec PC Restore partition so that CTRL-F11 still works after you restore the image to a brand new (or the same) Dell hard drive ?

Yes, I realize that there is an existing thread about this in the forum however the exact procedure is not clear. In addition people have posted that they tried 'something' and True Image altered their MBR and destroyed the Dell CTRL-F11 function completely because of some defaults in tiny print that they didn't know about. Please elaborate on this more. I am very concerned that when I get True Image I will make the same mistake.

Question 2) What is the exact procedure to restore the image made in question 1 so that those hidden partitions get written back in the right place, the machine boots correctly, and CTRL-F11 works if invoked ?

Sincerely,
    Rich

2. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

1) Install TrueImage8 on your hard drive.
    2) Launch it and select Create Image.
    3) Choose where to store it (DVD's, CD's, external USB2 Drive, etc.).
    4) When selecting the internal hard drive to image be sure to select the box at the top which includes all partitions and the master boot record. Very simple.
    5) Click Proceed and it will create the exact image of your hard drive automatically and save it where you chose.

1) Launch TrueImage8 and select Restore Image.
    2) Choose which image to restore to your internal drive (you can have multiple versions saved on different formats like CD's, DVD's, external drive, etc.).
    3) Click Proceed and the image will be restored automatically. When it's complete your computer will restart and you're ready to go.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 and I bought TrueImage8 specifically to do what you want to do. I do it all the time with zero difficulty and 100% reliability. I use an external USB2 drive for my backups and I also have an image on a set of CD's as well.

As long as you follow the easy steps to create and restore your images you will always retain the F12 diagnostics partition capability as well as the all-important Ctl+F11 pc restore capability.

Here's a tip: Do a Dell pc restore so your drive is exactly as it came out of the box and also the data is minimal in size. Boot up with the TrueImage8 Recovery CD and create an image of that pristine drive. You can save it to CD's on about 6-7 blanks or you can use DVD's, probably two. A typical 40GB drive will image to about 4-5GB after a Dell pc restore.

Whenever you feel the need to go back to ground zero when you opened the box, just restore that image and you're there. You'll have full functionality of the diagnostics and restore partition.

Remember, I do it several times per week on my Dells and my Toshiba laptops with no problems. So can you.

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Rich - since you are going to make backups to DVD's, just say NO to everything that True Images ask about creating/installing a Secure Zone and Secure Zone Manager. The Secure Zone is mainly for people who wants to create/store images on a hidden part of the hard disk, and you plan on using DVD's so .....

You can always create the Secure Zone later on, but stay away from the Manager.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there iflyprivate,

If you mean image direct to DVD after booting from the bootable rescue CD then I'm afraid it can't be done. Remember, TI needs third party UDF packet writing software running in the background in order to image direct to DVD. This isn't possible whilst in the Linux based boot rescue environment.

Regards

5. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

Right you are Menorcaman. I use CD's and I overlooked that Rich wanted to use DVD's. My error.

Although I have a DVD writer, I stick with CD's because of their simplicity with TrueImage8. By the time I get 3 DVD's formatted and burned and wrestle with TI8's DVD limitations I can burn 7-8 CD's and the logic makes more sense to my limited thinking.

Most of my hard drives are 40-60GB with typically 10-20GB used so the images are small enough to use CD's. I usually archive a set of CD's for each 'pristine' hard drive and subsequently use my external USB2 drives for creating and restoring images - much faster and easier.

By the way, I have several brand new 2.5" 40 & 60GB external USB2 hard drives available if anyone is interested (I sell them to my customers for backups and portability - $99 for 40GB 5400 rpm; $119 for 60GB 5400rpm with cables & carry case). I know for sure that they are fully compatible with everything we're doing here with TrueImage8. Private message me if anybody wants one.

Bob

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  6. rbauer

rbauer Registered Member

Hey guys,

One thing I noticed when using Sonic DLA is that after the .tib files are burned to the DVDs for each DVD I must go back and select "Make Compatible" in Sonic's DLA utility otherwise the True Image boot CD can't read those DVDs at all. Why is this ?

Rich

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Rich,

I'm not familiar with Sonic DLA (Im a Nero fan :)) but it sounds as if it leaves the session open (in order to add more files). Selecting "Make Compatible" probably then closes the open session, thereby preventing you adding further files and leaving it as a standard ISO DVD.

Regards

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rbauer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Though iflyprivate has already described you the procedure in details I would like to add that the only thing you shouldn't do is you shouldn't activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager because it will rewrite the MBR. Acronis Secure Zone will not change your MBR and you will be able to use all options after the restore.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. rbauer

rbauer Registered Member

Ilya,

Does booting from the Acronis True Image CD and simply selecting Restore image activate the recovery manager ? I did not think that it did.

Rich

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rich,

The only way to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is to choose this option. Any other actions cannot activate this option and you may safely boot from the Acronis Bootable CD and choose "Restore Image" wizard.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.