Imaging 256-byte inode Ext3 partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Modred, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I use True Image Home version 10 to image a drive that contains an Ext3 partition. Apparently, newer linux distributions use what I believe are called 256-byte inode sizes and True Image will not work with these systems except on a sector-by-sector basis.

Will True Image 2009 work with 256-byte inode Ext3 systems?

I have read that gparted creates 128-byte inode sizes, so that appears to be a workaround for now. Is there any other alternative?

2. KFreak

KFreak Registered Member

All popular Image-Programs that I know can`t handle with 256-byte Inodes on ext3 (True Image, Norton Ghost, Drive Image ...ect.). I have used True Image for years, but now I've replaced it, because I wont`t renounce 256-byte Inodes.

I have tested 3 alternatives that can handle with 256-byte Inodes:

Partition Image - Fantastic free program, if you do not wish to spend money
    http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

CloneZilla - Fantastic free program too, but every time I have restored my Root-Partition, GRUB was subsequently destroyed. It`s not a tragedy, but it's also not nice to correct this every time.
    http://clonezilla.org/

Image for Windows/Image for Linux/Image for DOS - this is the program that replace True Image now on my PC. It`s sadly not free but it is worth it. I have buyed Image for Window, so the other two apps was free for me. I use Image for DOS as the "Emergency Boot CD", the other both are for Windows or Linux in running-mode. All three programs have exactly the same functionality and are compatible with each other. Great similarity with True Image, except that U can`t use the mouse in Boot-Modus. But incredible speed with excellent compression and very easy to use.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  3. Modred

Modred Registered Member

Thanks for the response KFreak. I tried Image for Linux, and it seems to work well. I've used True Image since version 6 and don't want to switch, but there may be no alternative. I sent technical support an email but haven't got a response.

Thanks again.

kaibob

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. KFreak

KFreak Registered Member

Acronis has absolutely no need to change something. The number of Home-Linux users using True Image is maybe in the 0.1%-Area. Firms that secure their Linux servers with Acronis products, prefer almost always the block-by-block backup methods and this is still working with any inode size.

5. xschema

xschema Registered Member

You talk about home users & linux.
    Just for info, I would point out that TI Home 2009 actually does correctly manage the 256 bytes Inode size, while the Workstation/Server/Enterprise Echo versions don't.

I don't think this is a home vs. business users issue.
    Just a time schedule evolution... IMHO

Just my two cents

XS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.