Image won't verify with Boot CD, works with Bart PE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alexofindy, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexofindy

alexofindy Registered Member

Hi,

I realize questions very similar to this have already been asked, but not quite the same, I think.

I just purchased True Image Home 11, and used it to back up the 80 GB C: drive a PC. The PC runs Windows XP Pro (though this shouldn't matter), and has a hardware Raid (based on Promise 20276 chip) configured as Raid 1 (mirror).

I made a True Image boot CD, on this computer, and used the "full version" of TI-11 running from the boot CD to make an image. I had the image stored on a NAS (Infrant ReadyNAS NV+), which is actually Linux based (similar, I believe to the full version of TI on the boot Cd); the NAS runs standard Samba-based windows networking.

No errors making the image.

Then I tried to validate the image. (I actually used a recent vintage laptop to do the validate, since I wish to test the disaster recovery scenario that my main PC has died and I need to recover data). I booted with the Acronis boot CD, again started the full version of TI-11, and ran validate.

This fails about two-thirds of the way through, with the "corrupt archive" message.

The failure is reproducible.

So, I made a BartPE boot CD (which requires a certain amount of techical experience), and installed the Acronis BartPE plug in.

I booted the laptop with the BartPE CD, and did a validate.

And the very same .tib file that fails to validate with the Acronis boot CD, validates fine with BartPE. In fact, the validate process runs twice as fast as with the Acronis boot CD.

I've but in a tech support request, but it's sill waiting to be answered.

The Question: obviously, I can always use the BartPE disk. but can I trust the archive file I made should my main PC, or it's RAID system, fail, and I need to do a real disaster recovery?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The validation probs that ATI sometimes has are not strictly bad hardware. Sometimes, ATI just can't deal with hardware that lots of other software can. Why it apparently is exceptionally finicky is not well established, however, I think that it is exceptinally finicky has been established, your example being just another case in point.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

alexofindy, could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

4. alexofindy

Thanks! I still haven't heard back.

It's Acronis #1204457

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

alexofindy, I have resent you the original reply of our Support Team. It was sent on October 26 and you haven't received it for some reason. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

6. alexofindy

Hmmmm....

Still no e-mail from you folks. The e-mail address in my Acronis profile and forum profile seem correct. Should I post my e-mail address here, or send it to you?

7. como

como Registered Member

PM Acronis support by clicking on the support avatar don't post your email address on a open forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.