image verifies in windows, fails in linux ... now what?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rgombine, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgombine

rgombine Registered Member

I attempted a full image of my c drive. I was able to verify in Windows environment. It was suggested (Seekforever) that I repeat this process in Linux, so I booted w/ recovery disk and wouldn't you know it, the archive was corrupted! So, does that mean that for me, I can only use this program in Linux? (I haven't tried to do a backup in Linux yet, so I don't yet know if that even would work).

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Is your backup image stored on a USB external drive? If so, it sounds like the USB chipset is not well supported in Linux, so you get errors trying to verify.

One test would be to create a new image but split it at 1492MB or 700MB and try to verify that. Sometimes the smaller pieces allow a file to be read correctly.

A second approach would be to create a BartPE boot disk which is a Windows environment and uses Windows drivers.

What version of TI are you using?

What sort of computer is this?

3. rgombine

Sorry about the delay in replying.

Yes, this was a backup to a USB drive

My backup is with Acronis Home v 10.

Computer system:
    dell dimension 8200 running xp home w/ sp2
    MB is Intel 850E
    P4 (2.53GHz) processor w/ 1 g RAM (RDRAM)
    it's usb 1.0, although I have a combination pci card (usb 2.0/firewire/ethernet) installed.
    External HD is LACIE 150 GB connected via firewire via a different PCI card than the one above
    (I plan to hook up a 500GB WD Mybook to the USB 2.0 connector, just as soon as WD gets around to sending me the right power supply!)

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I was very jazzed at the idea of putting in a 2nd hardrive to test could create a bootable image of my C: drive, but I don't see much point in moving forward if I don't have a verifiable image to start with.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  4. rgombine

(bump)

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Using Windows, copy the image from the external drive to your internal HD. Boot up the TI CD and now try the validate. If it validates OK then it means that the file and external HD interface is OK but the Linux recovery CD can't handle the HW properly.

Is it currently connected as Firewire? If so, can you connect it as USB2 and try it with the CD.

6. rgombine

The LACIE drive is firewire only. . . I will have a USB 2.0 drive avail when the power supply arrives for my WD drive.

I will try copy image back to internal HD and validate in Windows. If it validates, should I go ahead and see if it usable when restored to an extra internal HD? Presuming these two steps work (and are appropriate), am I correct in assuming that I will need to create a BartPE disk as prepartion for catastrophic HD failure?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for your response.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Copy it back to the internal HD and validate with the TI CD . The reason for this is that the Linux environment which is on the CD is necessary to do a restore of your active partition, typically the C drive. If you can't validate with the CD it isn't going to work. Even if you start the restore in Windows, it boots into the Linux environment to do the actual restore. If you can validate then you can try restoring to your spare HD.

If it works or doesn't work, you can try making the BartPE CD which would give you another mechanism. It would hopefully give you the ability to restore directly from you external drive(s) without the need to copy the archive to an internal drive first or another drive that can be accessed with the TI recovery CD.

You do have an extra wrinkle in the machine with the addition of a PCI USB2 card rather than using the motherboards USB. Sometimes TI doesn't like disks/devices attached to add-in cards.

8. rgombine

Very helpful. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for highlighting that the test of the archive on the internal HD should be via the CD . . .I (clearly) didn't catch that.

As a point of clarification, my usb2 card isn't in use w/ my external hard drive at the moment . . .I'm just using the firewire (albeit admitedly through a different pci card). Does TI get itchy just when an add-on card is around, or only when in use?

R.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rgombine,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that image verification is a very precise process, and even one wrong bit will result in archive declared corrupted. Therefore, whether a consistent archive validates successfully greately depends of the system components involved in the data transfers during the validation process. If a component (PCI card in your case) is not involved into data tranfer process, it's presense will not affect it in any way.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.