image verification

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sous2817, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sous2817

sous2817 Registered Member

Hello,

I currently have a 160gig SATA RAID0 HDD set up on my machine and I'm backing up to a 160gig USB2.0 external HDD. I know that with RAID0 if one disk fails you lose everything, so I have started backing up my machine more often.

My question is, what is the best way to make sure that an image that I create will work if I ever need to use it? I'm worried that if I ever need to use my image it's not going to work.

Also, is it better to make an image or a duplication of my HDD (I forgot what Acronis calls it, but the "if you're getting a new HDD and want to migrate everything from your old HDD to the new one).

Thanks,
    sous2817

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, sous2817

Any one of many things can cause a conflict in creating a Image.

But the first thing is to make sure Ti Verifies the Image as good.

There is only one way to be sure an Image 100% and that the restore will work, and that is to test it on a spare HDD.

To Clone is what you must mean.

What is better is hard to say, if you clone the HDD, that mean a full HDD.

An Image is much smaller [depending on the amount of data on the HDD or Partition to be Imaged] so you can have many Images to a backup HDD but only one clone HDD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello sous2817,

Short of doing an actual restore the best you can achieve is to carry out the following:

Create a boot rescue CD using your existing build (latest?!) of TI and then create an image of your system and verify it. After that, boot from the rescue CD and go through the process of restoring an image up to, but not including, clicking on the proceed button.

If everything checks out o.k. up to that point (including correct detection of the RAID array) then, all things being equal, TI should be able to complete a successful restore.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.