Image Trouble with last release of Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by StarBlaze.sb, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarBlaze.sb

StarBlaze.sb Registered Member

I have discovered that the images created with the trial version of Acronis True Image, are incompatible with the full version.

The files (any), in the image created with the trial version, are corrupted if extracted with the full version.

Now there is a way to "reset" the countdown of the trial?

Regards.
    SB

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Sometimes when you join a forum it is very helpful to read and search around a little bit before posting:

Corrupted files

3. StarBlaze.sb

Oh! I'm sorry... but, please, do you understand me? There are 68GB of precious data in this image... i have saved all this data because the hard drive was failing with strange "clicks". Norton Ghost 9 is too invasive... therefore i have chosen "True Image".

Ok. Thank for your help.

Regards.
    SB

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Hopefully all your data will be fine.

5. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

My understanding is that Build 859 can't restore individual files from images. Is your full version Build 859? Acronis knows about this bug and are trying to fix it for the next build. I think you can still get the previous build on their site.

But the image should be fine, does it Verify ok? If so, then either go back to the previous build or use the new build when it's ready, to get individual files. Don't throw away the image, it's probably good.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Build 859 cannot Explore (or extract files from) images. However, if you download Build 826, you will find that you can Explore the image and extract files from an image that you made with Build 859 or 826.

7. StarBlaze.sb

The image is correct. I do it with the trial... then i think is created with the 826 build. Thank all for your suggestion.

But now i think at all user that trust in this product for do the backup of their HD and are not very expert and realize that their image, apparently, are invalid. Who call for help? o_O

Who is the irresponsible that break the code of the program?

Play (bad) with user data (and/or corrupt the user data) is unpleasant.
    Think also to a relatively mission-critical website or service: get an HD crash and try to restore the image... but BUM! What do now? :(

I'm a programmer and i think twice before break the user code... because i know that i get only complaint from my client that buy my programs or worst lost clients and their trust.

Regards.
    SB

8. jimmytop

The images created with 859 are not corrupt. Restoring the complete image with 859 should work fine. Extracting individual files by mounting the image with 859 is what doesn't work. But the image itself is not corrupt.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello StarBlaze.sb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

We are really sorry that the latest build (859) of Acronis True Image improperly explores an image archive. If you explore an image archive, everything seems to work normally, however, all the files on the mounted drive falsely appear corrupted, if you restore this image archive, everything will work normally (files will not be corrupted).

You can download Acronis True Image 8.0 trial version (the 826 build) at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ In order to explore your image and restore individual files.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. StarBlaze.sb

I'm sorry if i was misunderstood. I write in general... this are only thoughts not attacks to the product.

I write of people that use this product and know very little the english, can not have access to this forum and know very little of the computers... who support this people?

The GUI of this program is very easy to learn... but if you get in trouble and apparently think that image is broken... what you do now?

Regards.
    SB

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  11. Acronis Support

Hello StarBlaze.sb,

To check the image integrity please launch the "Check Image" tool, if the image is ok, you could to restore it without problem, but you cannot to explore it with the latest build of Acornis True Image (859), but you can download the trial version and use it. If the image is corrupt, please contact us, we will certainly resolve your problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

12. StarBlaze.sb

Ok.... i'm italian... but i think my english... isn't too bad. Where you do not understand my point of view?

I do not write of my case: the image is correct; all my data is ok (with the 826 build and last build 859 - except the explorer bug -).

I have writed this sentences (from the previous post):
    I have not writed of "True Image" corrupt the user data but an inexpert user can think that with last build.

Now, again, i ask at you where my point are not clear?

"True Image" it is a good product. And for this i have thinked to contact you sales department to ask if I can translate this program in my language and sell your software in Italy with my help.

Regards.
    SB

13. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

TrueImage8 è un buon prodotto ma l'azienda sembra in qualche modo lenta rispondere alle edizioni. Sembrano non potere fare le difficoltà attuali senza introdurre altri insetti. Non potete desiderare rappresentarle in Italia ancora.

14. StarBlaze.sb

o_O This phrase come from an automated translate service? In my tongue this have little sense...:doubt:

Regards.
    SB

15. Donprovo

Quegli italiani ed i loro dialetti! Ma Naggia! :D

16. Pablo Pablovski

Pablo Pablovski Registered Member

... and a 12" Four Seasons with extra peperami, grazie.

No offence, just looked like a restaurant menu.... :rolleyes:

17. Monk

Monk Registered Member

It may sound basic, but I missed it at first. When you up?grade to 826 from 859, you have to let TI8 uninstall 859, reboot, and install 826 overwriting whatever the uninstall missed. You cannot simply do the upgrade.

Yes, you have to enter all 50 characters in the old AND new serial number AGAIN! Does Acronis really need 25 character serial numbers? I don't think Microsoft's are much longer and they have a somewhat larger user base. When the software has already ticked me off, small things seem to tick me off more. (ok, Microsoft's are a lot longer)

I hope the next beta, ummmm I mean version, will indeed fix this problem. At the same time, I wonder who will be brave enough to try it.

18. StarBlaze.sb

Ok... this is literally OFF-TOPIC but... if you want: «ha senso se ti scrivo che è un italiano sgrammaticato? Non è un dialetto ma è solo sgrammaticato.»

If you need a translation of this phrase, Donprovo, PM me...

Now, back on topic, i hope that Acronis Support reply to my question seriously because the constant contact with the customer of your product is important for the life of the product and the life of the company.

Regards.
    SB

19. Donprovo

Hello SB.

Your English is grammatically poor which tends to mask the true meaning of your questions and statements, therefore misunderstandings will result.

Acronis and several users have already responded to your apparent concerns about exploring/restoring images.

If you want to sell TrueImage 8 in Italy you should contact Acronis sales department directly.

You seem to be saying that your English is bad and that other users may also suffer from poor English and you ask what such a user is to do for explanation and support beyond figuring out the GUI.

My suggestion is that you learn more English or employ the services of an experienced translator.

You must realize that Acronis support people seem to be of Russian origin and have some difficulty themselves with supporting English-speaking users so there is no simple solution for you except to communicate more effectively in English.

How well you do that will influence the quality of support you receive.

20. StarBlaze.sb

Ehm... i know this... i read the english better than i write it.

Yes and then?

Yes. But not only this...

My english, i think, isn't too bad (no?) but an english course it would not make me badly.

Ok. But i do not understand the point. Where do you go?

I do not write the contrary...

o_O o_O o_O

My question are simple. In summary: who support the inexpert user that apparently think that their image is broken? It's only a question that go beyond my problem.

Regards and thanks for the reply.
    SB

21. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Re: TrueImage Damaging Quattro files

Others and myself have found that you need to do a full uninstall of build 859 and then run the install for build 826 otherwise you can still have problems with the explore image function. Some element of hte explorer module does not get replaced unless you do the full unintal first. Before you uninstall, be sure you have your serial number written down in a safe place.

The fix is already incorporated into the server build (or maybe it's the corporate workstation build). It's ready for the deesktop version but they are not releasing a build with the fix for another week or two for some reason.

You are right that some users will not get to this forum and find out that only the explorer is broken. For some reason, the way Acronis is handling this bug, Acronis is bound to lose customers. It's one thing to release a program with a fundamental bug and another to not advise all (registered) users directly and yet another to not release a patch as soon as a fix is created.

This forum is a great thing for Acronis users and not many companies will directly support an official forum these days. Kudos for Acronis supporting the forum. But what the heck are they thinking with the way they are handling the explorer bug? Oy vey!

sh

22. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Well said Shieber ...

Does anyone know what does NOT work in 826 that they had to bring out a later version? Seems like everything a home user would need, build 826 does.

23. StarBlaze.sb

Yeah! This is synthesis of my previous post.
    Please look at this scenario:
    If an user apparently think that their image is broken what you (company) get? The user go in panic... can thrust Acronis again (the user) if release after release fix a bug and create a worse bug?
    What support can (your company) offer to this user that do not write in english, can not reach this forum and understand very little of the computers?

Yes. I agreed.

Regards.
    SB

24. jimmytop

Usually new TI builds add more hardware support to the linux-based rescue boot CD. In this case, 859 is supposed to include nvidia raid support, something that people have been asking for for a long time.
    Even if TI were completely bug free (something no software can claim), they will still issue new builds from time to time, that add hardware support.

25. Acronis Support

Hello StarBlaze.sb,

We have created the new build of Acronis True Image that contains the fix of the mounting option. Please note that Acronis Support Team provides free e-mail support not only for cusotmers who purchased the product but for those who are only evaluating it or just have some questions and haven't even downloaded trial version. If you evaluated Acronis True Image and found that all the extracted files are corrupted you could write a letter to support@acronis.com with the description and we would certainly have answered you. Briefly, to answer your question: Who supports other customers? I would answer: Acronis Support Team will answer to questions of all the customers who need it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.