Image: To Be Or Not To Be

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by korona, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Responder,

I like imaging from CD as well as inside WindowsXP Pro. Is the 2 images the same if I were to clone both ways. I just feel it is so abnormal to make a clone while in the OS at the same time.

This question has been triggered by my prior posting...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140939

korona

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't know about cloning, but I can do a backup and restore of the system partition with the Acronis Rescue CD and ATI under Windows.
    When you restore a system partition with ATI under Windows, ATI will ask you to reboot after the verification of the .tib-file and after reboot ATI continues the restoration. After the restoration ATI will reboot in Windows.
    I do it always this way, because I don't like to use the Acronis Rescue CD, too much work :D

3. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Responder,

Thank you... I use it both was I was wondering if both images are exact?

One images off of CD and the other in Windows...

I am trying to find out why after putting an image back on why it acts slower then a fresh install of OS, etc.

korona

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Both are exact images of your hard drive. Restoring an image is not like doing a fresh install. You are restoring an image of your hard drive as it was when you made the snapshot.

5. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Poster,

Is the image bit for bit exact copy - Image using CD and Image inside Windows and if so a bit for bit copy is made either way... why does the system degrade when image is re-installed?

This is what I am thinking... when imaging in Windows and exact copy is not made a close and functional copy is made, because if an exact copy was made I would have no degrading of Windows Functions and I would have the EXACT function/preformace as before.

I can live with this degrading but it bothers me that is was not like the prefomance before and that I would like it to be as before... :)

korona

6. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

If the system runs slower after restoring an exact image of the OS, then it will run the same after the restore as it did before. It couldn't do anything else, as it is an *exact* 'copy' of the system as it was at the time of the imaging. It is not a 'close' copy. It is bit for bit.

You really have no way of checking this issue by timing, not that I can see...if you can find a way to time such an event in a 'before' and 'after' situation so that you can compare the two, please post how you would do it.

Allen

7. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Poster,

The test time is so apparent as follows:

Desk Management when ran displays all drives immediately... With defrag starts and display immediately... bible software starts immediately... the resource find in the bible takes 5 minutes to catalog the books (4GB) (Initial)... afterwards is no longer preformed... Fingerprint response/processes with no time delay…

After exact verified image is put re-installed at any image level...

Desk Management when ran displays all drives takes 6-7 times longer... With defrag starts and display takes 5-6 times longer... ... bible software starts takes 6-7 times longer... the resource find in the bible takes 2 Hours plus to catalog the books (4GB) (Initial)... afterwards is no longer preformed... Fingerprint response/processes with time delay 4-5 times longer…

It does not matter what level of image is install it happens to all of them...

The system was running lean/mean/clean at ever image level...

Every image level displays the same characteristics as mentioned above... I have defragged after every image restoration and still it does not change the out come...

I am trying to flog a dead horse here… but there is something wrong… and I believe that this can be resolved…

8. Allen L.

Why doesn't this happen to others?

9. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Poster,

Because a number of people are not attuned to their machine; I notice the problem right away... It may be my hardware but like I have mentioned before it was running great...

korona

10. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Group,

I have done some testing...

Removed the HighPoint Controller - No Change

Defragged - No Change

Used a Utility - Registry Clean Expert - Defragged Registry - No Change

Used a Utility - Registry Clean Expert - Fixed Problems - No Change

I did notice that inside the Registry Clean Expert that the Disk Management open Immediately... then I open Windows Disk Management it took along time to open... I open then separately still same action...

Any thoughts on this?

korona

11. Allen L.

In regard to your 'testing'...you do a completely fresh reinstall of everything from scratch each time correct? You format the disk, then install the Operating System, the drivers, the programs, etc. to the freshly formatted disk? After the formatting of the disk and the new install of the OS and all programs, you then test and all is running fast and fine?

You then make an image of that OS (partition or disk), with all programs and everything, and place it somewhere and verify it? At *this* point your system is still running fine, in your opinion, as this is *your* fresh install that you have just completed, correct?

Then you boot with the Acronis recovery disk and overwrite that 'brand new' install that you just completed (OS, programs, drivers, etc), with the image you *just* made of it, and when it re-boots into the 'image' that you made...things are now running 6 to 7 times slower?

Will wait for your response.

Allen

12. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

korona, what do you mean by "level of image" ? Are you talking about compression level ? That has NO bearing on the performance of your machine after a restore.

Since I doubt seriously it should behave this way after you have rebuilt your Windows install, I think either you have a hardware problem or you have changed some setting either unknowingly or with good intentions and really screwed things up.

I'm highly skeptical of this being an ATI problem.

Given that, your best course may well be a repair install of Windows XP (not a full rebuild), but don't do that until you understand what's going to happen.

13. korona

korona Registered Member

Dear Responer,

Level as follows:

Windows - Level-1
    Office - Level-2
    Adobe Installed - Level-3
    Visual Studio - Level-4
    etc

A levels the system has been running great...

Any level reinstall... are all degradded...

I do the same thing to my laptop and there is no degrad in preformance.

korona

14. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

OK then, korona, best you answer Allen L. questions then so everything is as clear as possible.

15. korona

korona Registered Member

That is correct... only a few things run slower... not everything... it seems to be with anything to do with disk/partition/etc.

16. Allen L.

You state:
    When you state that "only a few things run slower... not everything... it seems to be anything...with the disk/partition/etc." Please inform me what the "not everything" could be that runs the same speed as before, but it's not on the disk/partition/etc.?...where *is* this *not everything* located?? And what is it?

Frankly, I give up with my part in this discussion of a supposedly Aconis 'problem'. You do have a problem of some sort. I am presumimg it is only with the computer. Good luck with the solution.

Allen o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.