Image-Speed to Tape vs. HD ????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rowi2000, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowi2000

rowi2000 Registered Member

I have compared the speed when I backuped a harddisc to tape and harddisc.

When I do a image to another haddisc without compression then the image was build with high speed. 20 GB in a few minutes.

But when I make an image to my tape drive (DLT7000) the speed was horrible slow (of course without compression) so thet the drive have to stop an go. Tha max transfer for a DLT7000 is about 5MB per sec.

Is that right or have I to optimise something.

I tested this with TIfW 1143 and 1158, and on both versions is the same.

Thanks and best Regards

rowi

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rowi2000,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide me with the exact values for the image creation time?

How much time does it take to create an image saving it on the hard drive?

How much time does it take to create an image saving to the tape drive?

Please wait for the disk imaging process to complete in order to provide me with the real values, but not the estimated time showing when the image creation process starts.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

HiRowi,

Didn't you expect the tape to be terribly slow? Tape transfer rates are way below what an internal hard drive or an external USB2 or Firewire hard drive can do.

4. rowi2000

The HD drive is an internal drive.

What I mean with terrible is that the tape drive not (not!!!) receive enough data to streaming. I expected that when I don't compress that TI could deliver enough data for streaming to the tape.

When I make the same backup to another internal HD drive (to a file) then the transfer rate is ok (full speed).

I don't have the exact time for backup, because I didn't finish the jobs for take care of the tape drive (stop and go is not good).

Another interesting thing is that when I play with compression, that makes different speeds to the HD backup but!!!! not!!!! when I backup to tape. To tape it is always the same independent from the compression rate (none, normal,...)

When I make backup with veritas backupexec 9.1 then the tape is streaming all the time.

thanks and best Regards

rowi2000

5. rowi2000

Maybe I have a reason (solution) found.

After I analysed the system I found the following driver GEARAspiWDM.sys that makes some problems. Also a service gearsec.exe.

These two (probably more) files comes from Norton Ghost 9. After I deinstalled Norton Ghost 9 I have a streaming tape when I not compress the image. Maybe I have some more problem drivers on my system.

So far my problem is solved

Thanks

rowi

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rowi2000,

I am very glad to hear that you have resolved your problem. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.