Image Restore Taking Forever (18 hours so far)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nyes1, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyes1

nyes1 Registered Member

I've been trying to restore a backup image of my Dell 8400 system and it's been running 18 hours so far and is only 2/3 complete. What gives? The whole partition is 228GB of which about 100GB is being used.

I booted up with the Rescue CD, and was able to locate the latest backup from my External Maxtor USB drive. It took 45 minutes to "analyze" the c: drive partition, and then it finally started the restore, and again, it's been running 18 hours so far and counting...

I could have reinstalled all my software (twice) at this point.

Is this normal behavior for True Image 8?

2. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I have an older Dell Dimension 8400 without raid. I purchased a new 8400 and planned on giving the old one to my Dad. I have been using TI for some time now and on the old system making an image from the master HD to a secondary HD only took a few minutes, around 5 minutes to be more exact.

When I purchased the new system, I wanted to image the hard drive before I even started configuring the system for myself. I booted with a rescue CD and wanted to make an image to a DVD. In manual mode and at normal compression it took about and hour and 45 minutes to make the image. I thought something was wrong so I installed a second SATA HD and tried to make the image. This time it took an hour and a half.

The new 8400 has built in RAID which I had to set to combination in the Bios in order for TI to even see the HD. It has to do something with the RAID I am assuming. That’s the only thing I can think of. Both systems have the same basic setup using 160GB SATA HD. I'm baffled.

Is there a way to add the RAID drivers to the rescue CD and install them so I do not have to change the Bios setting every time I want to make an image? Why does it take so long to do on the new system? I really love Acronis products, but may have to look for a faster solution. I do not want to wait almost 2 hours to make an image. That is just ridiculous. I've emailed Acronis support in the past for help, but received a generic response weeks later and haven't heard back from them since. Their support must work with Dell's... SLOW. :blink:

I forgot to mention thet the HD I was imaging only had 6 GB of data on it....

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just for the record, you can't create an image direct to DVD if you've booted from the rescue CD. Check this <post> for further information.

Regards

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nyes1 and dscrap,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

The reason of this slow image creation is drivers used for RAID controller in your configuration. Our Develpoment Team is working on this problem. We expect the improvements to be implemented in future builds of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.